Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

chevy in a subaru?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 richard_donovan

richard_donovan

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Rochester (S.E. MN)

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:18 AM

has anyone ever done this?

put a chevy V-6 ,V-8 or any other engine in a subaru
mainly 6" lifts or higher with seprate x'fer-case and straight axles?
i was wondering if anyone has done or thought about it?

i love subarus body styles

i know the great thing about subaru is that its a very light combo, light body and alum. engine,

thought i'd trough it out there
Richard

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:36 AM

Oh yeah, it's been done. My buddy Robert, Lumpycam, has done it twice. Once in the original "Unhatched" and in his current mudracer. Still running independent suspension along with thetransfer case mod. Robert was the first to do the transfer case. I can't find the picson Mikes XT6 with solid axles front and rear.

Posted Image

#3 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:38 AM

Rear solid axle and transfer case.

Posted Image

#4 richard_donovan

richard_donovan

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Rochester (S.E. MN)

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

how did he use the indipendant front susp. with the t-case mod?

richard

#5 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

There is/was a Brat in Hawaii that was setup for mud bogging that used a Chev motor and drive train.

Can't find the pics though :confused:
It was posted here years ago....

#6 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Oceanside, Ca

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

how did he use the indipendant front susp. with the t-case mod?

richard

You have to bolt in a rear diff in the front and run it off the t-case with a driveshaft.

#7 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:23 PM

theres always the subaru 6s also. aluminum blocks are worth their wieght in gold.

#8 75skunkaroo

75skunkaroo

Gimmie Shock Treatment

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Central Point Or.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:47 AM

http://usmb.net/gallery/album256

pics of "frankenstein" '84 gl, 6 inch life, samuri t-case, 31's, 6 bolt conversion

-mike

#9 richard_donovan

richard_donovan

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Rochester (S.E. MN)

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:53 AM

You have to bolt in a rear diff in the front and run it off the t-case with a driveshaft.

with power going in the diff in reverse of noraml rotations will the diff handle that power and extra strain of larger wheels, since the gear mesh would be in the wrong direction?

Richard

#10 75skunkaroo

75skunkaroo

Gimmie Shock Treatment

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Central Point Or.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:57 AM

with power going in the diff in reverse of noraml rotations will the diff handle that power and extra strain of larger wheels, since the gear mesh would be in the wrong direction?

Richard

it doesn't seem to affect it in that way. you have more problems with breaking stuff in the rear since you've converted over to rear wheel drive(stub shafts, etc). the only issue we had in the front was hyper-extending the cv's

-mike

#11 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:09 AM

why lift it? Slam it!!! Yeah I'm picking up a mildly built 350 and for cheap so I'm going to be dropping that into the Brat possibly or maybe into a Camaro I found for cheap as well..... Lumpycam's Brat is AMAZING!!! I envy it sooo much and I drool everytime I see it. Its a good role model to go after:D

#12 richard_donovan

richard_donovan

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Rochester (S.E. MN)

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:22 PM

why lift it? Slam it!!! Yeah I'm picking up a mildly built 350 and for cheap so I'm going to be dropping that into the Brat possibly or maybe into a Camaro I found for cheap as well..... Lumpycam's Brat is AMAZING!!! I envy it sooo much and I drool everytime I see it. Its a good role model to go after:D

don't pu tit in the camaro thats what everyone does... go with the brat idea..
so you are going to make it rear drive? i had heard that the rear susp. design didn't allow for any "squat"(sp?) and would roast the tires on comand. not that there is anything wrong with that i just would be worried about mid corner tire smoking.
have you thought about putting in a straight axle rear?

i had idea of putting a 350 in a RS coupe....but the wieght distribution would be off and the rear susp. design is hasle, gettting it to handle the power.

#13 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:49 AM

well here's the plans...
Nissan pickup frame with 4-link rear and straight axle
either a 2.8 MPFI, 500 hp, 12:1 compression or that 350 I mentioned
depending on the motor, either Borg-Warner 5-speed (v6) or Super T10 with the 350
bagged front and rear
c-notched frame for rear axle
and a whole other mess of goodies:D

well I have 2 Camaros already and if I get the 350, I can drop it into one I have which has the 2.8 and I have a whole bunch of performance parts for the 2.8..... thats why I kinda want to go with it besides it being small:D

#14 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:41 PM

Richard

Its not actually reverse rotation if you think about it, so it works fine. It's been done in quite a few cars now, including mine. Get a subaru diff in your hands and play around with it, you'll see how it works.

#15 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:22 AM

has anyone ever done this?

put a chevy V-6 ,V-8 or any other engine in a subaru
Richard

Hello Richard,

Here are some pics of 'Yukon' attempting to put a Ford 351 in an XT6.
http://ptrlabs.com/p...51Ford_powered/

#16 spanky_pete

spanky_pete

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:22 PM

Hello Richard,

Here are some pics of 'Yukon' attempting to put a Ford 351 in an XT6.
http://ptrlabs.com/p...51Ford_powered/

Hmmm, from the looks of it 'attempting' is definitely the right word. Sure is a lot of engine sticking up through the hood. :lol:

#17 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:38 PM

No issues at 240Hp and 33x16 swampers with the front diff, I have fraged a rear half shaft and reverse but the front has been just fine.

I gave allot of thought to running a deisel, the medium size cummins they use in the Dodge, but in the end it was more important to me to be able to say it was all Subaru. Both for the sake of keeping it Subaru and not giving those looking for a way to dismiss it's performance as a Subaru and attribute it to non-Subaru components.

#18 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 25 December 2004 - 08:33 PM

What is the weight difference between an ea81 or ea82 and the engines that are being discussed for possible transplants here?

It would seem that putting in a big engine and a transmission to handle the power would completely eliminate the Subaru's biggest advantage, which is its light weight. If you're going for a big-power, heavy duty 'wheeler, there are much better vehicles to start with.

#19 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

yeah I have to agree but with my Brat project, I'm going for the looks form the people who first off are wondering what the hell the car is and why its at the drag strip to the 'OMG its doing a burnout' and finally the 'Holy cow, it ran an 11 seconds!?!?!?!' I'm not only doing it for the thrill of having a fast Brat but also the funny looks from people when they see a Subaru Brat running 11's at the strips.

#20 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

yeah I have to agree but with my Brat project, I'm going for the looks form the people who first off are wondering what the hell the car is and why its at the drag strip to the 'OMG its doing a burnout' and finally the 'Holy cow, it ran an 11 seconds!?!?!?!' I'm not only doing it for the thrill of having a fast Brat but also the funny looks from people when they see a Subaru Brat running 11's at the strips.

I was thinking more about offroad use. For the street, whatever you can fit in there should work fine. Your brat should be pretty sweet when it's done!

#21 Tin Soldier

Tin Soldier

Wannabe awesome guy.

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Franklin, PA

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:56 PM

Sorry I missed this post when it was new, but I am going to be building a new lifted wagon and I was interested in this kind of thing. I like the thought of a rear wheel drive wagon with a lot more height and some power to boot. :)

#22 GoldDiggerRoo

GoldDiggerRoo

Pizza anyone?

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 29 December 2004 - 05:48 PM

I always wanted to build a mid-engined, chevy v8 powered ea81 wagon for road racing. It would look awesome with big tires tucked up under the feanders and the roaring v8 behind ya. Kinda like a DeTomaso Pantera, without the aerodynamics. Prob would look more like a Delorean... without the aerodynamics. ;)

#23 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

Awe man! I love this. I'm looking for this feeling once again in the older Subarus. It wouldn't be the same in a WRX or STi. I'm right there with you. :drunk:

#24 1990legacy

1990legacy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Harrisonburg

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

All of these sound like great ideas, I just wish I could do the same. But I lack the money and knowledge for anything the in-depth. I'd like to do something with an ea82 wagon and go for the solid axles and nissan t-case. But once again, the money and know-how kick my butt. :banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users