Ultimate Subaru Message Board

chevy in a subaru?

richard_donovan

has anyone ever done this?

put a chevy V-6 ,V-8 or any other engine in a subaru

mainly 6" lifts or higher with seprate x'fer-case and straight axles?

i was wondering if anyone has done or thought about it?

i love subarus body styles

i know the great thing about subaru is that its a very light combo, light body and alum. engine,

thought i'd trough it out there

Richard

Oh yeah, it's been done. My buddy Robert, Lumpycam, has done it twice. Once in the original "Unhatched" and in his current mudracer. Still running independent suspension along with thetransfer case mod. Robert was the first to do the transfer case. I can't find the picson Mikes XT6 with solid axles front and rear.

28WCSS_6_109.jpg

with power going in the diff in reverse of noraml rotations will the diff handle that power and extra strain of larger wheels, since the gear mesh would be in the wrong direction?

Richard

it doesn't seem to affect it in that way. you have more problems with breaking stuff in the rear since you've converted over to rear wheel drive(stub shafts, etc). the only issue we had in the front was hyper-extending the cv's

-mike

why lift it? Slam it!!! Yeah I'm picking up a mildly built 350 and for cheap so I'm going to be dropping that into the Brat possibly or maybe into a Camaro I found for cheap as well..... Lumpycam's Brat is AMAZING!!! I envy it sooo much and I drool everytime I see it. Its a good role model to go after:D

why lift it? Slam it!!! Yeah I'm picking up a mildly built 350 and for cheap so I'm going to be dropping that into the Brat possibly or maybe into a Camaro I found for cheap as well..... Lumpycam's Brat is AMAZING!!! I envy it sooo much and I drool everytime I see it. Its a good role model to go after:D

don't pu tit in the camaro thats what everyone does... go with the brat idea..

so you are going to make it rear drive? i had heard that the rear susp. design didn't allow for any "squat"(sp?) and would roast the tires on comand. not that there is anything wrong with that i just would be worried about mid corner tire smoking.

have you thought about putting in a straight axle rear?

i had idea of putting a 350 in a RS coupe....but the wieght distribution would be off and the rear susp. design is hasle, gettting it to handle the power.

well here's the plans...

Nissan pickup frame with 4-link rear and straight axle

either a 2.8 MPFI, 500 hp, 12:1 compression or that 350 I mentioned

depending on the motor, either Borg-Warner 5-speed (v6) or Super T10 with the 350

bagged front and rear

c-notched frame for rear axle

and a whole other mess of goodies:D

well I have 2 Camaros already and if I get the 350, I can drop it into one I have which has the 2.8 and I have a whole bunch of performance parts for the 2.8..... thats why I kinda want to go with it besides it being small:D

with power going in the diff in reverse of noraml rotations will the diff handle that power and extra strain of larger wheels, since the gear mesh would be in the wrong direction?

Richard

Its not actually reverse rotation if you think about it, so it works fine. It's been done in quite a few cars now, including mine. Get a subaru diff in your hands and play around with it, you'll see how it works.

• 4 weeks later...

No issues at 240Hp and 33x16 swampers with the front diff, I have fraged a rear half shaft and reverse but the front has been just fine.

I gave allot of thought to running a deisel, the medium size cummins they use in the Dodge, but in the end it was more important to me to be able to say it was all Subaru. Both for the sake of keeping it Subaru and not giving those looking for a way to dismiss it's performance as a Subaru and attribute it to non-Subaru components.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the weight difference between an ea81 or ea82 and the engines that are being discussed for possible transplants here?

It would seem that putting in a big engine and a transmission to handle the power would completely eliminate the Subaru's biggest advantage, which is its light weight. If you're going for a big-power, heavy duty 'wheeler, there are much better vehicles to start with.

yeah I have to agree but with my Brat project, I'm going for the looks form the people who first off are wondering what the hell the car is and why its at the drag strip to the 'OMG its doing a burnout' and finally the 'Holy cow, it ran an 11 seconds!?!?!?!' I'm not only doing it for the thrill of having a fast Brat but also the funny looks from people when they see a Subaru Brat running 11's at the strips.

yeah I have to agree but with my Brat project, I'm going for the looks form the people who first off are wondering what the hell the car is and why its at the drag strip to the 'OMG its doing a burnout' and finally the 'Holy cow, it ran an 11 seconds!?!?!?!' I'm not only doing it for the thrill of having a fast Brat but also the funny looks from people when they see a Subaru Brat running 11's at the strips.

I was thinking more about offroad use. For the street, whatever you can fit in there should work fine. Your brat should be pretty sweet when it's done!

I always wanted to build a mid-engined, chevy v8 powered ea81 wagon for road racing. It would look awesome with big tires tucked up under the feanders and the roaring v8 behind ya. Kinda like a DeTomaso Pantera, without the aerodynamics. Prob would look more like a Delorean... without the aerodynamics. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Awe man! I love this. I'm looking for this feeling once again in the older Subarus. It wouldn't be the same in a WRX or STi. I'm right there with you. :drunk:

All of these sound like great ideas, I just wish I could do the same. But I lack the money and knowledge for anything the in-depth. I'd like to do something with an ea82 wagon and go for the solid axles and nissan t-case. But once again, the money and know-how kick my butt. :banghead: