Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front diff or clutch pack

okay i am new so please be patient with me. . . i bought a used legacy outback '98 about 6 months or so ago. it has run fine with the exception that it needed a MAF sensor. then it began to make a whining sound that almost sounded like the A/C. but then my husband discovered that the front diff had it's own dipstick and found that it was in fact bone dry. after replacing the fluid we drove it for a bit and then it began the trouble with the turning i have read so many of you describe as the clutch pack? since that noise has been detected it has not been driven at all. could i need to replace both, do i need to replace the whole tranny if the front diff is bad (as instructed by one parts dealer) or is there some other course of action that may be advisable? also is there a dip stick for the clutch pack? thank you in advance

The dipstick for the front differential is on the right (passenger) side of the tranny. The transmission fluid level dipstick is on the left (driver's) side of the tranny.

What I'd do is put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder and see if the issues go away. If so, your problem is with the rear extension housing/awd system.

I'd suggest replacing the fluid first, and see if that helps the problem.

If you do have to replace/repair the clutch packs you don't need to replace the entire transmission.