Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On Board Air From XT6 Air Pump?

MorganM

Anyone here running onboard air with the XT6 air pump used for the phnuematic suspension? Is the little resivour tank on there enough so I'm not working directly off the pump? Will it put out enough PSI to pump up my tires? Do I just adapt on regular air compressor hose and chucks then just use whatever air tools I want like the compressor in my garage? I know it's a lot smaller but I just need something to air up tires.

Thanks!

Anyone here running onboard air with the XT6 air pump used for the phnuematic suspension? Is the little resivour tank on there enough so I'm not working directly off the pump? Will it put out enough PSI to pump up my tires? Do I just adapt on regular air compressor hose and chucks then just use whatever air tools I want like the compressor in my garage? I know it's a lot smaller but I just need something to air up tires.

Thanks!

I've messed around with one or let alone seen one, But from my 4wheeling experience typicllay the ones little air compressors supplied by the vehicle Manufactures are not up to the task of filling up tires. they are typically slow and get hot and burn up. But then again I've never had any experience with the subie one. The ones I've heard of are from buicks, Caddy's and I think a Lincoln Mark 5. they do work but are very slow ans typically burn up.

But go ahead and try it. And yes all you have to do is just rig up a hose on it and power it and see what happens. Then if you like what you seen then you can rig up a pressure switch later on. Oh I would expect much of air tools since they need a lot of air and you need a reservior to run them. My Quick Air II with a 7 gallon tank that I had would run a impact but just barely and there was a lot of waiting for the reservior tank to fill back up.

I'm no expert and have no actual experience, but you would want to have a tank of some sort to fill up, then you could run tools off it. I have seen stuff online, but don't have any links, on some 4X4 boards that explained how to set up a system using an A/C compressor from big old domestic cars (Caddilacs and Chryslers have good ones IIRC). I knew a guy who had a setup on his Scout and he used his roll cage and nerf bars as air tanks. I though that was kind of wild. He could run just about anything with short to moderate burst. I'd start searching some of the hard core off road boards to see. I think if you had the XT-6 pump set up properly and had a large enough reserve tank it would work. After all, it's just an air pump.

Yeah by air tools I mean the chuck to air up tires :) So best to have atleast a little staging tank where it can build up pressure if I need some real PSI and an adjustable valve. Sounds pretty spiffy. Have to grab it and start tinkering I spose.

I never air down when I go offroading becuase I'm never close to an air pump when I'm done! Would love to have some on board air.

I asked about this awhile ago on the xt6.net board, and got a lot of "naw" and "pfft" 's so I dropped it, since I don't have an offroad rig anyway... but what I was going to do is run airline all the way to the trunk, and have a converted propane cylinder that you can fill up with the pump when it's low, then use the air out of that for tires. that way you don't have to try blowing up a tire on a little teeny pump that would take all day to blow up a bike tire

<edit>

not much conversion needed for that propane tank iirc... dad uses one as a portable air tank w/ a pressure gauge and a curly hose..

To save you some trouble in searching other boards.....

Heres what I currently run in my 4runner: Rotary York

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273874&highlight=rotary+york

And heres what I had in my 2wd Prerunner which will probably end up in my Subie, eventually......: 210 York

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168115&highlight=york

To save you some trouble in searching other boards.....

Heres what I currently run in my 4runner: Rotary York

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273874&highlight=rotary+york

And heres what I had in my 2wd Prerunner which will probably end up in my Subie, eventually......: 210 York

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168115&highlight=york

Great links! A lot of useful information, plus links to more threads as well.

I think the next step would be to figure out the output specs on the XT-6 compressor to find out if it would be worth it (considering you already own it) versus buying a j/y compressor out of a Caddy or Volvo (like the Toyota guy used).