Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok this is F-ed up.

My dad and I were working on our subaru this saturday because my mom said there was something wrong with the clutch. So we go drive the car up on a couple of ramps and check under the hood too see if it was leaking hydorlic fluid, because we had seen some drips of something on our driveway. So we spend about two hours looking around and dont find anything but an oil leak. It looked like it was comming from valve cover so my dad takes his 10mm wrench and tightens down those three bolts on the left side. Thinking that we were all done we came inside to take a break and have lunch. After we were done eating we went back outside to get the car off the ramps. For some screwed up reason it wouldnt start. So we rolled it off the ramps and parked it and decieded that it would be best left for tommorrow since we were getting too pissed off and wanted to shoot the damn thing.

So after a night of brain storming and reading the hayne's automotive repair manual, my dad, a friend, and me get back to working on it yesterday. First thing we did was try and start it because we had thought that mabey my dad had flooded it the day before, but it still doesnt start. Next we loosen up the bolts on the valve cover that we had tightened because my friend thought we might have tightened it so tight that the rockerarms couldnt move but that wasn't it either.

So we wip out the hayne's manual and read through the trouble shooting to do what it says. First thing the manual has us check is the fule pump. The book said to stand at the back of the car with the gas cap off and ear close to listen for a "whirring sound" from the fuel pump when the key is turned. Couldnt hear anything so the very next step in the book is to check the FUEL PUMP FUSE.

PROBLEM THERE IS NO FUEL PUMP FUSE OR ATLEAST THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR MY LEGACY DOESNT DOESNT TALK ABOUT ITS LOCATION NEITHER DOES THE HAYNE'S MANUAL.

didnt want to find the ****ing relay so I checked the pump and its getting power just not delivering the fuel. the lines were not pressurized when I disconnected from the filter but had fuel in them.

also check the sparck plugs and they are all fine and sparking tuff but I never really thought that was the problem

makes a clicking noise now when i flip the key to on possition, from the front right, i think it has to do with something for the breaks but not sure

ej22t

legacy sport seadan 2.2L 16v 1991

Yeah i know i have the boook too. Its just that i dont want to have to take out the hole dash pannel for fear of breaking the vent grille seems fragile and the fuel pump seams to be gettting power but isnt 12v is it sappose to be low voltage?

i only connected the obd (the green cabels) for a moment to see what would happen but it scared the **** out of me so i turned it off and disconnected

how do i get rid of the click noise now. it definatively comming from the abs control module unit in the engine bay

The clicking noise is fine when the green connectors are connected.

The pump should definitely see 12v, or whatever the battery is seeing. What's the voltage at the pump?

Not sure how to get rid of the clicking noise coming from the abs....you're talking about the ABS computer, relay, or control unit in the engine bay?

Ok it took two days to figure out but the relay was working fine and the pump was getting 12v. Boy was digging out that F-ing relay fun:banghead: . The reason that I thought that the pump wasn’t getting 12v earlier was because I didn’t get a good ground the first time I checked. So all signs were pointing to the pump so my dad and I took it out and my dad ordered a new one. My dad also found that one of the connections on the resonator had broke off so we took apart the air cleaning assembly to get the resonator. We used Krazigule to get the parts to stick together at first and built it up with JB weld. As for the mysterious click sound that was coming from the ABS control module in the engine bay, I was just hoping that it would go away since I had to disconnect the battery to take out the fuel pump. Not sure any of this will get my car actually running again.:-\

I got the new fuel pump in a couple of days ago and got it installed last night. Went to turn it over and it still wouldn't start. :banghead: Still no pressure in the fuel lines, so I’m thinking that maybe the battery might be on its last leg, cause it did sound as though it was getting low, so I think I'll replace it.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what the clicking noise the poster was talking about is?

I am workign w/ my fuel pump also and I seem to be getting this click noise from under hood. It seems to go away after I play around w/ some cables by the brake pedal. It comes back again later.

Thanks for any help.

J'