Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's Who?

Guest Machine Age Victim

Guest Machine Age Victim

New Members you can go here, this is where we keep our member list now:

pub79.ezboard.com/bwhoswh...ssageboard

Well, we seem to have alot of new faces around here and some old ones that the new ones don't know yet, so I though it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves, and clear up any confusions, you know like an AA thing. Name: Machine Age Victim (my friends call me MAV) Cars: Mine: '87 Subaru GL Dual Range 4wd EA81; Wife's: '93 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe Experience: My first car was a subaru xt with a bored out 4cyl, pushing around 300hp new fuel line the whole thing, dind't have an upgraded transmission and it blew before I got my liscense. Have had my subaru gl since nov '99 and loved it ever since, with future plans to make it a rally car. Board Experience: I came here about 6 weeks ago and have been addicted ever since, I mainly try to keep away from the tech stuff but I ask alot of questions and get great replies, I try to keep the troops happy by providing usless posts about entertaining crap, thats about it! /'''''''''\__ `O----O` /\/\ /\ \/

DJ is my name Been on here since its inception way back Live in New Zealand(subaru Mecca) drive a '90 legacy GT Turbo 'wagon previous Subaru was a '84 Leone coupe RX duel carbies and free flowin exhaust I am a diesel mechanic but have kept various Gas powerd vehiclees on the road... will try and asnwer all question that I can, have been doing that here and on Alt Autos Subaru for a few years now...

Guest Frank B

My name is Frank(DUH!!) I've been coming to the board since late Sept. of '98 when it was the old format. I bought my '86 Subaru 2WD, carbed 3-Door coupe GL a month before. I'm not a pro mechanic by any means just a car nut that thinks there's room for improvement in any machine.

Guest Dickens

Name: Doug White Where: San Francisco, CA, USA Been on Board: Dec '99 Current Ride: '98 Glacier White Outback with custom stereo and a desire to explore. Pictures: From my homepage Experience: Just a happy customer. Current Subaru Dream: See an ST-X in person, own a WRX. :-)

Guest 86BRATMAN

My name is Shannon Honaker from Tazewell VA, i'm 16, currently a junior in high school. Current cars in family: 98 Legacy L sedan 41K miles, 90 Legacy L sedan 238K mi, 89 DL s/w 165K mi, 88 GL s/w 226K mi, 86 Brat GL(mine) 210K mi. Past experiance: 84 GL s/w, 89 DL sedan, 84 Brat, 85 GL sedan. I have been on this board since mid July 99. I will do my best to answer any questions that I can. I'M PROUD TO BE ONE OF THE FEW AND THE PROUD OWNERS OF A BRAT.

Guest bratsrus1

Hi my name is Jerry i live in Selah Washington i have been on the board about a year now i have a 86 blue brat and my wife has a 98 outback and my son has a 90 justy. The outback is real class to drive but the brat is a blast to drive. My brat has the tee tops,factory brush guard,3inch rollbar,rear seats,trailer hitch,dual exhaust,wintch and yes the fog lights that i won at the soob show last year. Thanks Jerry

Guest richierich

I am Richie, you might have guessed. I live in Portland Or, but I go to school in Eugene. I have owned many subarus, and still do. I drive a 91 Legacy turbo sedan, and my father's 85 XT Turbo. I own a 83 Brat that needs a trans mission, but still drivable. My father and I are currently working on a XT6 and Legacy wagon and 88 4dr sedan. I have been a member since Feb 99, I think. If I have not talk to you before welcome.

Guest chrism1

I'm chris matzen, 58 yo SWM and have been on this board for only a couple of months. Found it very helpful, not only to me, but to several others with most any question I ever asked. I'm on Soobie#1, 1986 4WD GL wagon, 1.8L 2bbl, no turbo, 160K miles.I got this car at 156K Save timing belts, 4 new Michelin X-Metric tires, and LOF, most everything I have done to the car so far is cosmetic (seat covers, wheel rings) or accessories( first aid kit, chains&rubber gloves, flashlight, maps, etc.) I did buy a real spare tire and wheel. Cultural Note: if Elvis Presley had lived this long, he would be 65 years old today.

I'm Qman(Ken) Been on the board since Sept. '99. Been a mechanic for 20+ years. Got hooked on Subaru by accident. But a non running 84 GL 4x4 wagon changed my outlook on Subes. Paid $50.00 for it and drug it home. Put a motor(used) and it's been running strong ever since, about a year now. I've owned/ own many Subaru's since. Here is my current herd; 84 4x4 GL wagon 176K, 84 4x4 GL hatchback 209K, 84 GL-10 2dr 2wd 103K, 86 4x4 GL-10 Turbo 4dr 5sp 198K, 80 DL 4dr 2wd 4sp(for sale), and a 79 4x4 Brat GL with the factory high top and roll bar. I like to get and give advise on the "Board". I live in Algona, Washington( just NE of Tacoma). I do alot of side work for my Subie pals. I've even converted my Bro-in-law to Subaru. Love the board and hope we keep getting bigger, 501 and counting. Asperations; to build my 84 Hatch into a Jeep killer. 4" lift, 29" to 30" tires on 15' wheels, Dual carbs on custom fabbed manifolds, stage 2 or 3 cams, 5sp D/R trans, rear posi and 4 wheel disk brakes, dual exhaust, custom roll bar with winch and a light bar. Hey if your gonna dream, dream BIG! Welcome to all!

Name: withheld to protect the innocent Location: Tunnelton, PA (16 clicks from Rolling Rock factory) Stable: 98 Forester, 87 Turbowagon, 86 Brat, 85 Brat + amalgamation of "others" Webpage: <A HREF=http://www.westol.com/neper >http://www.westol.com/neper </A> Interests: wild women, fast cars, electromechanical gizmos, golf --NNITO Occupation: frustrated inventor- work for architectural product firm to keep busy Aspiration: learn how to spell Board mender sinse: for about 800 personal posts Credentials: have putzed w/auto's from the age of 12-- 36 years

Guest McBrat

Name is Mick. Been on the board since spring of '99 currently have 86 Brat w/76kmi on it past subes 77 dl wagon, 82 dl wagon, 82 gl wagon, 84 gl sedan, 86 brat. shade tree mechanic. make my living as a sr. systems analyst at an insurance company. (read computer dork). next possible project: taking a 78 brat with 99k on it and yanking the motor out to put into a 1980 4wd wagon... the suspension on the brat is rotted away, and the bed is sitting down, so it's not worth fixing (with other rust). all this is based on the assumption that I will be able to aquire these 2 beasts in the spring... also, you will notice a link below to a who's who page. this pages lists the board "regulars". I HAD a bunch of info I needed to add to it, but I just got back from putting a new hard drive in. I will take all the info from this post and add to my page.

Guest quattronut

Name: Quattronut (Tim) Board Since 9-99 The reason my name is quattronut is because one of my vehicles is a 1988 Audi 90 Quattro sport with modified engine, race suspension, quattro all wheel drive, etc. The list goes on. E-Mail for details on that. I also own a beautiful 1984 Subaru Brat GL 1.8 Dual Range. The Brat is complete with extra skid plates, Steely Brush Guard, High Performance Electric cooling fan, Jump Seats, 100W aux lights, and more. I live in Monmouth County, New Jersey and wish there were more people with older Subies here. Seems the Atlantic Ocean air killed most of them. kzildjian@home.com

Guest seattleflyer

This is my first Subaru. I bought it about 15 months ago to commute back and forth between Spokane and Seattle WA during last winter. I needed something that would work well in the snow, and it did. My other car is a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, and is my preferred car for long road trips (gets better highway mileage than the Sube, and is more comfortable). I recently plowed over $2200 into this old Sube as it was basically giving its last gasp. I did this mainly because I did not want to hassle with buying a new car and selling the old one. I have been in aviation for the last 10 years and work as a pilot for a major cargo company. I am also a rated aviation mechanic, and prior to my changing careers worked for about 12 years in the car business. I used to race in the SCCA (Datsun 510 and Chevy Monza) and also did the dirt track thing back in my younger days. I have no interest in going fast anymore--another reason I kept the Subaru. Currently living in Las Vegas.

Name: Jim Lucas Age: 16 - Junior in high school Location: Birmingham, MI (Detroit Area) Ride: '86 Brat GL - Dual Range 4WD - 130,900 miles. This is my first subaru... there will be more. Interests: Guitar, cars (especially Subaru) and computer networking. -Jim

the name is Klaus, I bought a 78 Brat last september, It was a major P.O.S. , I needed help to get it running - I found this board and the rest is history. I brew my own beer, in my younger days I used to race dirtbikes, my mechanic knowledge goes back to when I started riding motorcycles somewhere around 1980. I love the Brat, Klaus

Guest DudeZXT

I'm DudeZXT (Dennis). 28, married and have 2 children. Sell/support robotic equipment to Toyota, Coke and others. Live in MI and move to Lexington, KY in about a month. Have an '86 300ZX Turbo and have modified it for speed. Above vehicle isn't so good for winter, so I bought an '88 GL-10 AWD Turbo Wagon 5sp with 94k on it from an old guy's yard. It had set for 4yrs because of lost freeze-plugs/blown gaskets and I just recently had head gaskets replaced and fuel tank cleaned. It's exhibiting signs of blown gaskets again... The dealer screwed-up the intake vacuum hoses and didn't tighten the coolant hose clamps, so the car got hot right after I got it back. Still loses/burns coolant and oil. Guess it's time to cash-in the warranty... My first Sube and having bad experiences all over the place. I'm impressed with the snow driving, though - just have to find a good Subaru service dealership.

Guest Oozman

Name: Oz (nothing to do with the place down under though...) Location: Helsinki Finland (in Subaru ads here they say "Finland always has Subaru weather") Cars: Mine: '86 Subaru GL Dual Range 4wd STW; Wife's: '90 Legacy 1.8GL Experience: My dad owned Subaru's since 1979... Ive had Subarues since 1994... and got hooked since. Ive tried to sell some off, but always end up with another one.... Board Experience: Found it september 99 (1999 for the y2k bugged ones....)

My name is Gilles. I'm a teacher in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. On the board since mid october '99. I learned to do maintenance and repair with my first car : an Austin 1800. Did about everything on this car includind pulling and successfuly repairing its 4spd transaxle that was stuck in third. After more than 15 years without a car, i bought my first (and only to this date) used Subaru in june of 1999 (info with my signature). During that 15 years, I short rented cars of all makes (always new cars) and found I definitely cannot fall in love with anything but a used car of character that needs my attention (excluding the woman I'm with... in case she reads this...). I'm always doing something on my car and try to do preventive maintenance and repairs. I get excellent advice on this board and as I get more familiar with my car, i hope i can become more useful to everybody here. Greetings to all members of the board.

Guest Subelove

My name is Jason i'm 18, I live in Colorado Springs, CO. I've been on the board for about a year. I got my first Sube a little over a year ago, it was a 87' white GL-10 Turbo 5spd, this was my fav sube, but on the way to school one morning and I got rear ended which totaled that car. After looking for a while I got another 87' Gl-10 Turbo auto, it was fun.Then after falling in love with the Turbo Legacy, and never believing I would ever get one, I saw one for sale, there very hard to find and I got lucky. I bought it on a whim. then sold my wagon. It is my baby now. I also race DH and dual slalom mountain bikes. THat has been my only love stronger than SUBES

Guest racerK

Hi, my name is Kevin. I live in Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico. I've been on the board since October 99. My first Subaru was a 1975 2WD DL wagon, which I owned for about 1 1/2 months. It ran on two cylinders, and I paid $278 for it. It got me over Stevens Pass several times in the winter, which is what impressed me so much. No matter what I did, it still pointed forward. Then, one day, trying to cross the pass in dry weather, the differential froze. It was about fifteen miles uphill from Leavenworth, and would have cost me half the car's value to tow it back. I never saw it again. Now I own a EA-81 engine and 5-spd tranny. They are destined for a yet to be purchased SCCA Open Class Rally car. Unfortunately, my plans are still a little vague, because I haven't even read the rulebook. BTW, I will be unemployed in 7 days, and homeless in about 16 or 17 days. I should arrive in Seattle before the end of the month. Then, we'll see...

Guest ShawnW

Ugh like you cant tell what my name is... My signature line has my 2 Subarus on it and I previously had an 85 GL Sedan (POS mechanically and body). The 85 was my first roo though so it must have been good enough to get me started. I also have a 99 Toyota Corolla that is my primary car but the hatchback sees a lot of miles lately too. Im a college student at DeVry in Addison IL ((near chicago). Telecommunications Management (computer dork in the making). My wife is too. I have been around since the old board started up and about 25 of us morons tried to make sense of it all. Back when there were 2 subaru boards for all u veterans. I have started a personal page and the Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual. I need some help so check it out and pick a repair you want to demonstrate to us all. I recently added to the manual a message board on Ezboard so comments and such can be added to each repair section. Well enough stuff u already knew!

Guest phillybob2000

Name, of course, is Bob and from, of course, Philly. Found this board last month (December, 1999) upon some kind soul's advice. Recently, I bought the '84 BRAT (shiny maroon #17) that was on ebay (and can be found on McBrat's and Shawn Watson's pages). I flew out to Des Moines, Iowa, on 12/26/99, and took it (along with my understanding gal, Marni) on a mid-western journey, so to speak ... crossing the Mississippi, up to Chicago, to northwestern Michigan, down to Indianapolis and through Pittsburgh and then the rest of Pennsyltuckey to its new east coast home of Philadelphia on 1/2/00(though currently in hiding from Johnny Law at my brother's home in southern New Jersey; not PA- certified yet). Because of the timing of the purchase/trip, I call it the Millenium BRAT or phillyBRAT2000. I also had the good fortune of meeting McBrat himself on our way out of Des Moines to purchase the BRAT hat (topper) that he still had from his former sold BRAT. Besides that, I've only bought a cup holder at Kmart somewhere in Illinois and a headlight in Traverse City, MI, for my BRAT. Da BRAT is the yin to my more conservative yang, a '99 Forester S (in almost the same color as the BRAT). Though, I'm wondering if it might be fine to boot them both in favor of the ST/X when it arrives ... I enjoy reading all of your posts. They have been helpful and entertaining thus far and am sure they shall continue to be so. Regards.