Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 obw leaking between engine and AT tranny

Its a 96 outback 2.5 phase 1 with auto tranny. It appears to be leaking near or at the point where the tranny mounts to the engine. Im assuming this is that infamous plastic plate issue that I have read about? Any ideas?? If it is this plate, is it a big deal to leave it alone?? If I need to change it, do you drop the tranny or pull the motor??

If yours has higher mileage than chances are that your rear main seal (crankshaft) is leaking. Technically, there shouldn't be any oil between the tranny and the engine. Just live with it!

Ali

'95 Legacy wagon(for sale)

Its a 96 outback 2.5 phase 1 with auto tranny. It appears to be leaking near or at the point where the tranny mounts to the engine. Im assuming this is that infamous plastic plate issue that I have read about? Any ideas?? If it is this plate, is it a big deal to leave it alone?? If I need to change it, do you drop the tranny or pull the motor??

If the leak is brown get some Gold Eagle engine oil stop leak in the brown bottle and put in engine it should stop within 500 miles. It stopped mine at around 100,000 miles and it still had not started leaking at 288,000 miles when my idle pully came apart and caused the valves to get in pistons. ( Make sure it says for engine they make products for transmissions and problary raditors also)