Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 BRAT throw out bearing carrier question

I accidentally lit my brat on fire AGAIN :rolleyes:

Maybe I shoulda taken out all the insulation on the back side of the firewall before welding the patch in. Anyway I put it out but decided to stop welding for the day and instead try to stick the engine back in.

Well throw out bearing on the tranny is to the 82 (little) clutch.

I got a new larger 83+ clutch and throw out bearing going in. Well the carrier that rides on the input shaft doesnt fit the new larger throw out bearing??

What gives?? Is this carrier like a common part I can get at my dealer? Just ask for a 4WD 83-84 wagon throw out bearing carrier I would assume?

The clips that hold it on are perfect, the carrier is perfect, its just the wrong size now! :banghead:

I accidentally lit my brat on fire AGAIN :rolleyes:

Maybe I shoulda taken out all the insulation on the back side of the firewall before welding the patch in. Anyway I put it out but decided to stop welding for the day and instead try to stick the engine back in.

Well throw out bearing on the tranny is to the 82 (little) clutch.

I got a new larger 83+ clutch and throw out bearing going in. Well the carrier that rides on the input shaft doesnt fit the new larger throw out bearing??

What gives?? Is this carrier like a common part I can get at my dealer? Just ask for a 4WD 83-84 wagon throw out bearing carrier I would assume?

The clips that hold it on are perfect, the carrier is perfect, its just the wrong size now! :banghead:

I had this problem when I tried to the larger flywheel with the 82 tranny. you need to use a '82 TOB. it should still work, but it'll be riding right on the edge of the fingers.

the 83-84 carrier won't fit the 82 tranny. tried that too....

I ended up still using the smaller 82 flywheel.....

I may consider the spacer, I just want to see how much of the bearing rides on the clutch, if its on by a thread, I will consider trying to get a spacer made. If its a decent amount of contact I'll just exchange the big bearing for the little 82 style one.

I also have a couple of spare '82 carriers if you want some to play with.....