Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear discs on a Gen 1?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:02 PM

This was discussed a while back, but I can't seem to find it. Who has done this and what was involved? I seem to remember something about grinding the trailing arm a bit, but no pics were ever produced.

#2 mudrat79

mudrat79

Banned

• Banned
  • 697 posts
  • Eugene,

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:04 AM

I've done 2 sets onto Gen one Brats......I din't grind Anything.....???

You need Rotor, Caliper, Backing plates, and The 6-8 inches of soft line right off the caliper to do the conversion.....

Have fun......John

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:10 PM

Cool, thanks John!

#4 75skunkaroo

75skunkaroo

Gimmie Shock Treatment

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Central Point Or.

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:07 PM

maybe a little write up when you're done?

-mike

#5 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:39 AM

I'll see what I can do!

#6 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

I did this conversion on my 78 Brat. Took the brakes out of a 87 GL-10 turbo wagon. I had to do some grinding to clear the caliper mounting bolts. I also had to take some material off the backing plate in a couple of spots. I need to go back and weld in around the places I ground to reinforce the old spot welds. Just don't want it to break somewhere down the road. But the work was simple and quick. Probably did the whole conversion in about an hour or an hour and a half.

#7 yumabrat

yumabrat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Yuma, AZ

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

I did not think that this was possible until reading this...... do the rotors fit directly to the stock spindles...... And, where do the calipers mount.... thiis sounds like a cool mod that I would like to do.

James

#8 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:17 PM

The rotors DO fit on the stock spindles and the calipers mount on the backing plates.

#9 mtnman38

mtnman38

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • kitsap county

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:11 PM

hey , just completed putting ea82 turbo rear discks on my 84 ea81 4wd hatch. I got the rotor, calipers,and baccking plate from a 88 turbo wagon. They went in like butta no grinding no beatig just fully bolt on. I completed the whole job in under an hour and a half with clean up hardest part was hammering the backing plates bacck to where they wear supposed to be after the Jy had there way with it.

#10 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

WTG :drunk:

Glad it was a nice and straight forward swap. They really are a sweet when you get them on and bleed eh???? :brow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users