Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale manual tranny VS. automatic

Hey what's up guys? I've never posted here before, but I've been reading the threads for a while, and now I'd like your opinion on something....

I recently bought a 92 Loyale 5spd 2WD for $50, thought I found a gem in the rough, and ended up putting a clutch and ~$500 more into the car. I got it running real good. Then, I hit a deer, a road sign, and a tree with it. Drove it home at 65 MPH, and the only thing mechanically wrong was the alignment off a little bit, and the steering wheel is pushed almost into the dash from the force of impact. Enough of the sob story, now onto the question...

The body on that car is wrecked, but I liked how it drove, and once I got the kinks worked out, it was a great running car. I just found a 91 Loyale, 90k miles on it for ~500, this one is an automatic, quarter panels are starting to rot on it. My biggest issue with buying that one is...is there a big difference in power between the manual and auto transmissions? I drive 40 miles 1 way to work up and down a lot of big hills, and that's really important to me!

Thanks for all your time, and keep on Soobing!

Frank

1980 EA81 Wagon, died of cancer 10 years ago (rust)

1986 EA81 Brat, every option, great shape, killed by drunk driver

now, 1992 Loyale 2WD, got into a fight with Bambi, and Bambi won!

Also, anyone need any parts, let me know, Body on the Loyale was straight before, and had brand new fenders put on it (old ones were rotted out), along with other things...AC worked great, interior in good shape, PW PDL PM 5spd 2WD EA82

Not sure about a 91 automatic, but the 87 ish autos sucked a whole lot of power, and didn't have a torque converter lockout. (At least in the version we have in new zealand anyway....). Probably a different unit to the 91 though.

Do you know if the auto is a 3- or 4-speed? The 4-speed is better, but still will lose a lot of pep. About the only GL/Loyales that seem to handle the autos gracefully are the turbos.

And it really depends on what you are used to. If you are used to an econobox with an auto, then the Subaru with auto might seem pretty good.

And I am sure that someone will speak up and suggest an auto-to-manual conversion.

I must say I have driven only manuals on every car i've owned. I currently have an '85 GL AUTO, and I think the Auto gets up and goes good. Seems to be more initial torque when you mash the gas than with a manual, I kind of like that. Although it does shift VERY slow.

Matt

Hey what's up guys? I've never posted here before, but I've been reading the threads for a while, and now I'd like your opinion on something....

I recently bought a 92 Loyale 5spd 2WD for $50, thought I found a gem in the rough, and ended up putting a clutch and ~$500 more into the car. I got it running real good. Then, I hit a deer, a road sign, and a tree with it. Drove it home at 65 MPH, and the only thing mechanically wrong was the alignment off a little bit, and the steering wheel is pushed almost into the dash from the force of impact. Enough of the sob story, now onto the question...

The body on that car is wrecked, but I liked how it drove, and once I got the kinks worked out, it was a great running car. I just found a 91 Loyale, 90k miles on it for ~500, this one is an automatic, quarter panels are starting to rot on it. My biggest issue with buying that one is...is there a big difference in power between the manual and auto transmissions? I drive 40 miles 1 way to work up and down a lot of big hills, and that's really important to me!

Thanks for all your time, and keep on Soobing!

Frank

1980 EA81 Wagon, died of cancer 10 years ago (rust)

1986 EA81 Brat, every option, great shape, killed by drunk driver

now, 1992 Loyale 2WD, got into a fight with Bambi, and Bambi won!

Also, anyone need any parts, let me know, Body on the Loyale was straight before, and had brand new fenders put on it (old ones were rotted out), along with other things...AC worked great, interior in good shape, PW PDL PM 5spd 2WD EA82

Do you have the cargo caver? would wou want to part with it?

I must say I have driven only manuals on every car i've owned. I currently have an '85 GL AUTO, and I think the Auto gets up and goes good. Seems to be more initial torque when you mash the gas than with a manual, I kind of like that. Although it does shift VERY slow.

Matt

Slow shifting: Sufficient clean ATFluid? Have you done any maintenance to the governor valve yet? I haven't noticed any slow shifting on my wife's 3AT, at least not since I changed the fluid and put in the proper amount, and reworked the governor. It's been a very pleasant AT.

Granted I never had a AT Soob.. But from what I have read..there might be a decline in gas mileage. I know the area you are in (Originally from Harrisburg Pa but drove 81 a billion times to Albany NY and here to CT) I would say..do the swap!My old Toyota P-U (82 SR5) AT would die big time on the mountains around there..even when with the manual overdrive turned off and the only thing in the bed was my dirtbike.

Sad to hear about the loss of your Loyale (being I am a big DL,GL,Loyale wagon fanatic).

To answer your question- there's a HUGE difference between the manual and automatic. By 91 the 3-speed was the only auto offered.

Expect very sluggish acceleration as you now have 3 gears covering your speed instead of 5. Expect it to run at 4000rpm at highway speed. Expect very poor hill climing performance on the interstate. Expect a noticeable drop in gas mileage.

I'd recommend dumping the automatic and converting the car to manual. It's not all THAT hard, and when I did the same job in my 92 Loyale it gave the car a whole different demeanor.

Do you have the cargo caver? would wou want to part with it?

a cargo cover? I'm assuming you mean for a wagon...my Loyale was a sedan. If you mean something else, I'm sure I don't have it...I don't have any kind of cargo cover in my car. Sorry I couldn't help ya out!!!

Granted I never had a AT Soob.. But from what I have read..there might be a decline in gas mileage. I know the area you are in (Originally from Harrisburg Pa but drove 81 a billion times to Albany NY and here to CT) I would say..do the swap!My old Toyota P-U (82 SR5) AT would die big time on the mountains around there..even when with the manual overdrive turned off and the only thing in the bed was my dirtbike.

Sad to hear about the loss of your Loyale (being I am a big DL,GL,Loyale wagon fanatic).

My other 2 subarus were dogs, too, and not only on the hills (1980 ea81 wagon manual tranny 2wd and 1986 Brat ea81 manual 4WD), but I think that was mostly because they were carbed and had well over 150k on them...the manual EA82 Loyale with 90k on it I just wrecked actually had a decent amount of pep, and I think gearing had something to do with it...I'd tach about 4k at 70-75 MPH or so, but that wonderful little car still got me 31-32 MPG. Made me smile every time I was at the gas station!!!

My other 2 subarus were dogs, too, and not only on the hills (1980 ea81 wagon manual tranny 2wd and 1986 Brat ea81 manual 4WD), but I think that was mostly because they were carbed and had well over 150k on them...the manual EA82 Loyale with 90k on it I just wrecked actually had a decent amount of pep, and I think gearing had something to do with it...I'd tach about 4k at 70-75 MPH or so, but that wonderful little car still got me 31-32 MPG. Made me smile every time I was at the gas station!!!

None of my Soobs were to much of dogs ..for what they were..88 GL 2WD wagon and a 90 Justy 2WD and my current 92 Loyale...if you read my sig..it has 185,000 miles on it and just yesterday I toasted an older Honda Civic ricer and a Focus. I tach out at 3300 at 70-75 and somehow get 38-40 MPG. The gas station/garage I go to loves me cause I love pulling up next to some rich person filling up their beasty road hog and put my weekly $5 in the tank and when they go to pay I run in hand the cashier my $5 and say see you next week and the look on the face of the SUV owner as they hand over $50+ is priceless. Of course the garage's mechanic is in on all this ...great kid...he is another Soob junkie...did a gorgous job on a frame up restore and mod on an 84 Hatch..I been bugging him to email me the pics to post.

I would still say....if you can since you have the parts ...do the swap, I think you will be happier in the long run

To answer your question- there's a HUGE difference between the manual and automatic. By 91 the 3-speed was the only auto offered.

Expect very sluggish acceleration as you now have 3 gears covering your speed instead of 5. Expect it to run at 4000rpm at highway speed. Expect very poor hill climing performance on the interstate. Expect a noticeable drop in gas mileage.

I'd recommend dumping the automatic and converting the car to manual. It's not all THAT hard, and when I did the same job in my 92 Loyale it gave the car a whole different demeanor.

I agree totally!

I have only owned 2 auto one a GL the other a GL-10. The GL-10 you could live with, but the other was unbearable. Terrible on gas, slow, shifted slowly, etc.

Especially since you have a stick to compare it to like I did. Stay with the stick.