Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust bolts in head

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pmichaud

pmichaud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:00 AM

Do these tend to break when removing? Are they hard or impossible to repair?

87 gl wagon, no turbo, 4wd

TIA

Paul

#2 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:04 AM

the worst you will do is remove the engine head threads when the stud comes out

#3 pmichaud

pmichaud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:16 AM

the worst you will do is remove the engine head threads when the stud comes out

and then I will have to play the drill and tap game?

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,657 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:20 AM

easy to deal with, no big deal.

if it comes out - put it back in.

if it strips the threads in the head then get a helicoil kit to "install" new threads. you could consider drilling out larger holes and tapping them to use larger studs. be advised, you may have to drill exhaust flange/header as well for the bolt to pass through. if only one of them strips out....leave it out. i currently have at least one missing on each side for whatever reason and it's been like that for quite some time...and no leak at all. not even a little. AND I EVEN INSTALLED THE ORIGINAL FREAKING GASKET when i did my head gaskets. i resealed the entire motor and because i was planning on doing more work i just reinstalled the old, horrible looking exhaust gaskets and held on to my new ones. that was 30,000 miles and over a year ago....still no leak....and still none of that *more work* i was planning on doing....well that's not true i did weld up new exhaust beyond the y pipe.

#5 Rallywagon

Rallywagon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Western NC

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

Yep....I had to do the drill and tap thing. And I used plenty of anti-seize putting things back together, so hopefully, it won't happen again.

#6 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:43 AM

Yep....I had to do the drill and tap thing. And I used plenty of anti-seize putting things back together, so hopefully, it won't happen again.

Just make sure you use studs and not bolts. I've tried both. Bolts tend to come loose for some reason even with lock washers. Studs, lock wahers and nuts hold tight.

#7 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • new york

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

I usually tap a 7/16-14 and put a bolt with lock or star washer and never had a problem with them loosening....and never had to drill the Y pipe flange either

#8 jeffroid

jeffroid

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Seattle area

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:44 PM

I just put mine back together, and here's what happened to me:

Both studs came out of the head on one side, and both nuts came off the studs on the other side. When I went to put it back together, on the side with the studs still in the head I just put the nuts back on - no problem. On the side I had to put the studs and nuts back in I had no trouble with one, but the other one wouldn't tighten down at first. The problem was that the nut had run all the way in and shanked out on the stud, not leaving enought thread engagement in the head to hold. So I backed the nut out of the stud almost to the end, then double-nutted it so it wouldn't advance down the stud while I was trying to turn the stud into the head. It tightened up and I removed the double-nut and I was done.

#9 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

The bolts on my exhaust are so corroded they look like little nubs :banghead:

I don't dare touch them because I know they will break :mad:

I have always wondered what other people have experienced when they attempted to remove them?

Thanks,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
01 Forester

#10 canajun2eh

canajun2eh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:24 PM

The bolts on my exhaust are so corroded they look like little nubs :banghead:

I don't dare touch them because I know they will break :mad:

I have always wondered what other people have experienced when they attempted to remove them?

Removal isn't a big problem. Just give them a little whack on the end with a hammer. Apply WD40. Ease them out. This means, turn them out a little, turn them in a little, turn them out a little more, turn them in, repeat.

Always replace exhaust studs with new ones. Yesterday, I only paid $2.08 Canadian each, from a fastener supply place. The nuts are stainless steel. If in doubt, replace them too. Always apply lots of anti-seize compound after the nuts have been tightened.

#11 pmichaud

pmichaud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:54 AM

I changed all 4 studs, used heli coils, drilled and tapped, put new ones in, took one hour max...worked great thanks again.

#12 Del Gue

Del Gue

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Tulsa

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:04 AM

I too appreciate all of this info. Mine are now held on with small c-clamps. What kind of rig is that? My problem is that all 4 studs are gone, and everything is stripped out up in there. Would a commercial parts store have studs that will fit? I do almost all of my own repair work, but this one sort of intimidates me. I am having a hard time sleeping because of the rig I put on it.

#13 pmichaud

pmichaud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:06 AM

I bought a heli colil kit ( tap, 10 coils ) for $30 at Pep Boys...all you need is a 13/32 drill bit and 45 - 60 minutes of time, real easy job...use studs not bolts for replacement

#14 Del Gue

Del Gue

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Tulsa

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:13 AM

I bought a heli colil kit ( tap, 10 coils ) for $30 at Pep Boys...all you need is a 13/32 drill bit and 45 - 60 minutes of time, real easy job...use studs not bolts for replacement

Then, is 13/32 the size of stud that I use with the heli-coil? As I say, I have 0 studs there now. Thanks for all of this help.

#15 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:15 AM

the standard coarse thread 7/16 is the best option. helicoils are so damn expensive, and if your hole is stripped out, the 7/16 will almost fit in there without drilling or tapping.(almost meaning i have done it before, hammered it in there an 1/8 inch then torqued her down. on a road trip)

also make sure you dont still have half the threads sitting in the bottom of the hole. sometimes only the outside half of the threads get pulled out with corrosion, and the last half still works well
dont overtorque on install =]

#16 pmichaud

pmichaud

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:24 AM

What ever heli coil package you buy , it will tell you what size stud its for, what size drill to buy...

I used M10 x 1.25 stud, which called for 13/32 drill, but you could use Non metric bolts with a non metric heli coil kit..

#17 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

but if you went with standard thread you dont need the 30 helicoil!

#18 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,377 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:46 PM

Would a corser thread pitch be less likely to fail? Just wondering cause my brother has a stripped stud on his Suby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users