Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have my first Subaru. 2005 Forester. When coasting down hill by my home my former car, Toyota Camry, would increase speed by 10 mph by time I got to bottom. My Forester only increases about 3 mph in same distance and at same starting speed. Is this due to AWD system, or is it possible brakes are draging or something like that ?

Is it broken in yet? New vehicles are "tight" mechanically until they get a few thousand miles on them. That's why you need to break in a new engine. Transmission, drivetrain and brakes, when new, could all create a "drag" on momentum.

Don't forget there's a fair weight difference between a Camry (erghhhh....cardigan car.....) and a Forester, so gravity could have something to do with it.

Is your Forester MT or AT? The different shift points etc in the 2 cars may also contribute. I have found that my 02 AT OBW "holds" 3rd or 4th coasting downhill a long time before the torque converter locks up and the car coasts "free".