Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lightweight Wheels

I have a set of Kumho Powerstar 758s that I had put on my RX earlier today. While I was at the tireshop, I brought a bathroom scale with me just to see what the stock rims would weigh. I was considering getting 15" rims until I weighed the 13" rims.

mini-rxfront1.jpg

The rims that are on the front of the car are the ones that I have all around. The tire size now is 185/70-13s. I weighed a rim on the bathroom scale and came up with an unbelievable number -- 8lbs! I weighed it 3 times. My scale seems to be pretty accurate. When I weighed one of these rims with a tire, it came out to 28lbs. This would indicate that the Kumho tires are 20lbs a piece.

According to Kumho's website, these tires at this size weigh 16lbs a piece. What I got is what I got.

So right now, I'm just fascinated with the fact that I have 8lb rims on the car that some peeps pay top dollar for a set of Volk racing rims that light. I know it's not really wide but for the driving I'll be doing, it'll be just fine. Also, I know my weight may have been off by a lbs or two......or three....I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. But what I got was what I got and it was 8lbs. Simply...Wow! :)

BTW: My wife read my post and said that I should mention that the big 'grease' spot under the car is from my dreaded XT6s. She can not stand them and hope they go up in flames or that someone steals them. Perhaps both! :rolleyes:

Before you get too excited, how did you use the scale to weigh the wheels? Did you weigh it by itself, or did you weigh yourself with and without the wheel, and figured the difference? Bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate at small weights.
I weighed the wheel (rim) by itself, then I weighed it again after the tires were put on. I centered the wheel on the bathroom scale and held it up (not on) with my index finger. I held it up in a way as no to put any downward pressure on the rim to influence a heavier weight. I'm telling you, this is what I got and if you have a set of these rims or 13" rims like these, to weigh them yourself. I was shocked. I'm even being skeptical but it's what I got. :)

Cool :cool: if you're right about the weight, but...

I'll repeat that bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate at low weights. Not a good way to weigh anything less than 20-30 pounds. Had to weigh a Guinea Pig with one...

Do you have a gallon of water/milk/juice? Does it weigh the same as the wheel?

I'll repeat that bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate at low weights. Not a good way to weigh anything less than 20-30 pounds. Had to weigh a Guinea Pig with one...

Do you have a gallon of water/milk/juice? Does it weigh the same as the wheel?

Man, you are tough to please. :grin: Ok, I did this. I took my wife's 3lb dumbell (She's no Chyna) and I put this dumbell on the same bathroom scale that I weighed the said tire and rim on.

mini-3lbweight.JPG

Since I was off a little bit at an angle, I stood even closer and more directly over the bathroom scale to take a closer picture of the 3lb dumbell's weight.

mini-3lbweight-2.JPG

Are you convinced?

Man, you are tough to please. :grin: Ok, I did this. I took my wife's 3lb dumbell (She's no Chyna) and I put this dumbell on the same bathroom scale that I weighed the said tire and rim on.

Since I was off a little bit at an angle, I stood even closer and more directly over the bathroom scale to take a closer picture of the 3lb dumbell's weight.

Are you convinced?

Yes, I am totally convinced. But...

Man, you went to great lengths to prove that your scale works at low weights! :grin: Good job doing it though.

Far simpler just to weigh yourself, and then weigh yourself and the wheel. That would have shut me up several posts ago. :drunk: That, or stick a sock in my mouth; I hear the latter is more satisfying.

Yes, I am totally convinced. But...

Man, you went to great lengths to prove that your scale works at low weights! :grin: Good job doing it though.

Thanks! I had to prove it to myself though that the scale is accurate. For some reason, I still have a tiny bit of doubt like there is some other variable missing or something. :-\ I'm one of my worst critics.

I weighed wheels awhile back on my bath scale. I'm not sure about the results but this is what I got. I weighed a h alloy and a steel wheel at about 10lbs each and an Enkei at 6lbs. I have a 25lb mail scale now and I'm thinking about weighing on that if I get a few spare minutes.

I weighed a ..............an Enkei at 6lbs.
Now this is absolutely ridiculous. I know what set of wheels I'll be set to get my hands on in the future. As if 8lbs isn't light enough. Imagine telling someone on the NASIOC or any board for that matter that your rims weigh in at 6lbs a piece. Imagine the look on their face. :-p Oh man, has anyone mentioned this in any past posts? I'm going to look some more now. This is insane! :grin:

Can someone provide a link to that wheel page that used to be on USMB? I know it's still here but I can't find it.

Now this is absolutely ridiculous. I know what set of wheels I'll be set to get my hands on in the future. As if 8lbs isn't light enough. Imagine telling someone on the NASIOC or any board for that matter that your rims weigh in at 6lbs a piece. Imagine the look on their face. :-p Oh man, has anyone mentioned this in any past posts? I'm going to look some more now. This is insane! :grin:

Can someone provide a link to that wheel page that used to be on USMB? I know it's still here but I can't find it.

if you click the homepage link above, then click on the 80's subarus link, the wheels page is in there....

also, I think I need to weigh my 14" alloys. they are super light....

if you click the homepage link above, then click on the 80's subarus link, the wheels page is in there....

also, I think I need to weigh my 14" alloys. they are super light....

Thanks for the link. Here's a better pic of the wheels I'm using that are 8lbs a piece.

Wheel style: Rally specs (1985)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/8hole.jpg

68643-h.jpg

well, they shouldnt weigh that much... they are 13s! :lol:

Arch is right...there's just not much mass to 13" wheels. That is why they weigh about 8lbs. Mazda Miata standard stock 14" alloy wheels from 90-93 (the Minilite looking design) only weighs about 11lbs.

Well, I finally got out the extremly acurate and reliable 25# postage scale. I found out right away that my bath scale is NOT acurate! I weighed every loose wheel I have and they are listed below.

lbs ozs

10 11.4 Enkei alloy

11 05.8 EA81 8 spoke alloy

11 13.2 EA81 4 spoke alloy

13 01.4 EA82 Rally alloy

13 09.8 EA81 Magnum alloy

13 15.8 EA82 H alloy

14 12.8 EA82 Standard steel

15 05.6 EA82 White spoke

15 12.0 EA81 White spoke

17 12.2 14 x 5.5 Pug steel

Enkei still wins but they are not 6lbs, sorry :-( ---Damn $5 bath scale!!!---