Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ohv engine

Guest lewcz

ok, after some awakening news, i just realized my ea81 engine dosent have a timimg belt. if the engine dosent have a timimng belt how does it keep in time? on an ohc engine the belts are replaced, what is replaced on the ohv engines?

uuuummmm how about nuffin... the cam shaft in these cars are driven of the crankshaft via a gears... the camshaft the drives cam followers which inturn push pushrods which push rocker arms which push the valves.... the only that may need adjusting would be the clearance between the rocker arms and valves... The only way these can go out of time is if you have a failure of the cam gears(highly unlikely and catastrophic)

Guest ShawnW

The ones with hyd lifters have stickers on the valve covers. I believe any 83 and up 4wd with carb and 4speed would be the hyd type but not completely sure on this. Subaru seemed to use the mechanical lifters more on the non emission states I think but not sure.

Guest byb555

I would think so. I could be wrong. I have pulled down an EA81 motor from a 89 brumby/brat and it had solids. i also have a "Gregories" subaru manual that shows all EA81's as having solids. it also has the EA82 motors and shows them as hydraulic. please correct me if I'm wrong

Guest camosuba

there are some hydralic lifter ea 81 motors about i have seen it was a jap importmotor but i couldn't tell you any more subaru tend to do things like that for no apparent reason

i've never worked on an ohc subie engine before, but isint the whole point of ohc engines to reduce the complexity of the valve train? all of the ohc engines i'vworked on had no lifters or push rods. the camshaft acted directly on the rocker arms, which in turn act on the valve stems. as far as the 1-shaft engines, i have no answer, it seems that there was no definitive cut-off date for solid lifters

I must apologise. I did a bit of research today and found out that what I said holds true for Australian motors but apparently some of the OS motors did have hydraulic lifters. I am told that there wasn't many of them but they did exist. Once again, sorry if I mislead any one.

My 83 had hydraulic lifters. The sticker on it said so, and when I took the valve covers off, there was no way to adjust them. The sticker underneath the hood will tell you the clearance required for the lifters, if it say "0", then you have hydraulic. Mark

Yep 86 GL hatchback has hydralic lifters. John Muirs book says : 83-84 Automatic Trans hydralic lifters 83-84 manual trans mech lifters 84+ has hydralic lifters regardless of model This holds true for my subarus so far too. 85 GL sedan had EA82 engine and hyd lifters 86 Gl Hatch has hyd lifters EA81 engine 4wd 84 GL Wagon has mech lifters and 5 speed trans.