Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone running longer shocks in rear on 4" lift?

monstaru

if so did you simply get a four inch longer shock at the mounting points or is there a way to measure these things?

I went off of the data for replacement stock shocks for extended length and compressed length, and looked through the Rancho catalog after determining what I wanted for my 82 Brat. it's got the 3" body, and the clocked torsion bar for another 2" in height. I chose one that was close for the mounts, and gave me 1" further travel up and 1" further travel down.

the part number I came up with is listed in the USRM - misc section under the 5" lift instructions. to stick with the stock specs, just add 4" to each length and try to find one that fits....

Shocks spec'd for Landcruiser FJ60's should work for a 4" lift. That's what I have on my Hatch with 3" lift blocks and a clocked torsion bar. It goes short enough to rub the tire on the wheel well and stretchs out longer than standard axles can extend. I did have to swap over that bar at the top of the shock where it goes through the rubber bushing but it wasn't a big deal. To make the axles stretch out longer you can put late model EA82 cups onto your EA81 axle shafts. That'll allow about another 1.5" of axle stretch without hyperextending the joints.