Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone running longer shocks in rear on 4" lift?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

if so did you simply get a four inch longer shock at the mounting points or is there a way to measure these things?

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:28 AM

if so did you simply get a four inch longer shock at the mounting points or is there a way to measure these things?

I went off of the data for replacement stock shocks for extended length and compressed length, and looked through the Rancho catalog after determining what I wanted for my 82 Brat. it's got the 3" body, and the clocked torsion bar for another 2" in height. I chose one that was close for the mounts, and gave me 1" further travel up and 1" further travel down.

the part number I came up with is listed in the USRM - misc section under the 5" lift instructions. to stick with the stock specs, just add 4" to each length and try to find one that fits....

#3 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

i was hoping that is what i got out of that article.it has been a while since i read it.thanks, brian

#4 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

I used longer shocks on mine. The shocks are from my buddys lifted brat that had a 6" lift on it, that were originaly off a '76 landcruiser. They seam to fit just fine.

Jeff

#5 88HatchMonster

88HatchMonster

Back in the Hatch

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Shelburne, VT

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:52 PM

I got longer shocks for my 4" lifted hatch. That was almost 5 years ago though. I just had the guy at advanced auto open some boxes for me, don't remember exactly how we figured it out...I was able to get ones with the stock t-bar at top though.

#6 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:03 AM

yeah,i will eventually get around to going down to the parts store i guess.i was wondering about measuring them because i found some on sale and they are pretty nice for an offroad rig .thanks guys...brian

#7 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:14 PM

Shocks spec'd for Landcruiser FJ60's should work for a 4" lift. That's what I have on my Hatch with 3" lift blocks and a clocked torsion bar. It goes short enough to rub the tire on the wheel well and stretchs out longer than standard axles can extend. I did have to swap over that bar at the top of the shock where it goes through the rubber bushing but it wasn't a big deal. To make the axles stretch out longer you can put late model EA82 cups onto your EA81 axle shafts. That'll allow about another 1.5" of axle stretch without hyperextending the joints.

#8 spanky_pete

spanky_pete

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

When I was checking on prices today it would appear that Rancho no longer sells the shock that McBrat used on his lift. :banghead:

#9 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

yeah, i didn't know they stoppeed making it,but i could not find it anywhere.i am awaiting time to call pro comp on there es series shocks. i will post it if i figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users