Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Motor Swap Done! Well Almost...long w pics!

Yep after 2 days of working my rump roast off the new motor is in and it's back on the road and running great. Well almost great, I must've missed a couple of vacuum lines and will investigate that today (Sucks it's snowing quite hard today). The turbo light isn't working?? (and I know the turbo is working, sounds way better then it did before..woosh). Need to take care of few other odds and ends like adjusting the new clutch and retorquing a few bolts here and there. I will say that in typical "my kinda luck" style everything that could've went wrong did, so it took much much longer then it should've. But it's out of my brother's garage and back at home. Investigation of the old engine while pulling it led me to discovering that when I went to pull the y pipe that the stud came right out of the head along with a ton of coolant. Also while pulling the wiring harness off the old intake I noticed the intake leaking coolant on that same head, so for the heck of it went to pull the intake real quick..yea broken intake bolt..coolant leaking into cylinders. Plus seemed that this engine had been taken apart fairly recently, but yea at least that head is totally jacked. Here is some pics from my build, will add some finished pics later was too late and too tired last night to remember to take anymore. All and all was worth it!

A Big Hole in My RX!!!!

hole.jpg

Broken Intake Bolt on old Engine

intakebolt.jpg

Big Mess I made

mess.jpg

Pretty new engine before installation

pretty.jpg

Ok got it all figured out, was just too tired last night and was being an idiot. Plus I broke a vacuum solenoid or whatever it is called on the intake. Plus mis-hooked up a couple vacuum line. All perfect now and everything is running 100%. New boost gauge verifying that 7-8psi stock boost is working perfectly. I tell you the sound of NO lifter ticking is great.

Finished Pic for you guys..now to figure how to install the MR2 intercooler.

done.jpg

Whatever the heck this thing is is what I broke, yanked off old intake to replace:

vacuum.jpg

Ok got it all figured out, was just too tired last night and was being an idiot. Plus I broke a vacuum solenoid or whatever it is called on the intake. Plus mis-hooked up a couple vacuum line. All perfect now and everything is running 100%. New boost gauge verifying that 7-8psi stock boost is working perfectly. I tell you the sound of NO lifter ticking is great.

Finished Pic for you guys..now to figure how to install the MR2 intercooler.

done.jpg

Damn! That's beautiful! Whoever you sell that car too is going to be very very happy.

Damn! That's beautiful! Whoever you sell that car too is going to be very very happy.

Sell my RX? Thought hasn't crossed my mind yet and hopefully never will. Shoot I barely just bought it a few months ago. Plus I specifically bought an RX, to dump money into it over time. To restore it to as nice as possible because I'm a crazy (or at least that's what some people think, but not you guys). ;)