Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 flywheel/clutch stuff

archemitis

ok. when installing an ea81 clutch plate, and pressure plate onto an xt6 flywheel i noticed it puts alot more pressure on the springs, when the clutch is not depressed. the springs usualy stick out away from the motor, this combo made the springs go concave, towards the motor.

basicaly the machined surface on the xt6 is closer to the flat face of the flywheel,(that the pressure plate bolts on) than the ea81 flywheel. by almost a 1/4 inch.

i used the xt6 pressure plate and the ea81 clutch disc, and it didnt do that. but the xt6 pressure plate uses a larger TO bearing.

im wondering if anybody has noticed stuff like this between the different flywheels. and im thinking maybe this is why the xt6 stuff holds more power, its got less space, and compresses your clutch springs more.

If memory suits the EA81 flywheels are about .100 deeper than the EA82's and ER27's. The correct combination is the EA81 disc with the ER27 PP along with the ER27 flywheel. Usually, this combination is used with the 5sp trans so that the correct TO bearing can be used. The only benefit from the XT6 flywheel is a savings of about 5-7lbs of weight. And a slightly stronger PP designed for more horsepower. This may be detrimental to an offroader as the heavier flywheel will keep the momentum going.

actualy my ea81 one only weighs 2 lbs more than the xt6, im hoping the xt6 to bearing will work on my 4speed dual range.

otherwise im using my ea81 flywheel, and all ea81 stuff. the cars light enough, hopefully it wont slip =/

the ea81 and xt6 friction plate look identical in the thickness department.

well, untill i decide to go 5 speed, im going to run fairly new clutch, pp, and flywheel from an ea81, on the er27. bolted it all up, and transfered the timing marks today. gutted the cat, and painted some rusty stuff. and, i almost got the wiring finished =]. i love legos!