Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After coasting, idle is erratic and car bucks

I have a 2002 Outback wagon that is having idle problems and problems with a slight amount of pedal. Here is the scenario: if I coast for a few seconds and then give a very small amount of gas, the car hesitates and bucks. It has not died but has come very close on several occasions. Just before buying this car, I had a 2004 rental that did the same thing but not as bad. Is this a common problem with this generation of Outbacks? I have read some of the threads here and I guess I will reset the ECU and maybe try some of the TPS suggestions but if you have some advice I would like to hear it.

My 90 legacy does the same thing. It only does it once in a blue moon though. The other day I was at the bell in the drive tru when I noticed it doing it. I would speed up to pull forward then when I would slow down the car would buck. It did this untill I got out on the road and had a chance to get on the gas. It was more like a surge than a buck. I don't believe it is tranny realted because I stuck it in 3rd with the manuall button on (2nd) and it still did it. Hmmmm...

I have a 2002 Outback wagon that is having idle problems and problems with a slight amount of pedal. Here is the scenario: if I coast for a few seconds and then give a very small amount of gas, the car hesitates and bucks. It has not died but has come very close on several occasions. Just before buying this car, I had a 2004 rental that did the same thing but not as bad. Is this a common problem with this generation of Outbacks? I have read some of the threads here and I guess I will reset the ECU and maybe try some of the TPS suggestions but if you have some advice I would like to hear it.

fuel filter maybe? don't know why it would be just after it coasts...but maybe you have some blockage?