Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The trans on my 1990 Legacy suffered terminal failure (a sudden jolt while driving 65mph) and I'm wondering if not having installed the filter kit (a recall item) could potentially have been the cause. I'd appreciate any insight into the type of transmission problems that could result from not having a transmission filter kit in that model.

It's "possible" that not having the kit installed may have led to a premature failure. The filter is more of a screen meant to catch larger particles.

How many miles are on the car? Was the transmission fluid changed routinely?

My AT had about 179k miles on it, and it was pretty much done. It still worked, but shifts were sluggish, and it slipped. To get it back to new, it would've needed a complete rebuild, which I didn't want to do, so I put in an MT.

That means all the seals, wearing parts like clutchs, etc are tired. You did pretty good to get 15 years. Maybe you could have done a bit better with the filter but that would not have helped the seals. I got 15 years exactly out of a Mercedes 190E which is a taxi in most of the world and that was considered very tough.

You should send a few bucks back to Subaru for how long it lasted.

Hi,

I have read about this AT trans filter kit which is apparently installed as a recall item or something. Where exactly is it? I have a 1993/1994 AT 4wd 2.2 station wagon and I'd like to check whether this thing has been installed or not. My car has approx 60,000 miles on the clock and I am getting ready to change all the fluids in the car, etc.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Dusan

The filter is external of the transmission and is inline with one of the fluid lines that run to the radiator. The filter sits on the passenger side of the transmission and it looks like a Legacy fuel filter.

The reason this filter was added, was becasue transmission cooler located in one of the radiator tanks would get clogged up and cut off the supply of fluid back to the transmission.

I'm not sure if 93/94 models need the filter because Subaru may have fixed the problem with the radiator before those model years.

Hi,

Thanks. Does anyone know the exact part number for the whole automatic transmission filter kit for 1993/1994 automatic legacies and also the part number just for the filter, which, I presume, should be changed together with the ATF.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dusan

Legacy777 - How easy is it to change from At to a MT?? Cause if i do have to change my tranny, a MT would be cool! But i wonder if it will cost more? Also dose the tranny filter pop right off>? or ? cause i was working on it and it just would not come off!

Hi,

I did some work on my car yesterday and noticed that there is NO trans filter kit on the car or any automatic transmission fluid coooler anywhere on my 1993/1994 2.2 wagon. I remember reading that there should be a line from the transmission to the lower part of the radiator where the trans fluid cooler is supposed to be and where the trans fluid filter kit should be installed. There is no such thing on my car. It is an original 1993/1994 european specs model bought in Germany and regularly serviced in Germany up untill two years ago. What do you guys suggest? Did I miss seeing something and what do you guys suggest?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Dusan

Thanks for the info. The car has about 114,000 miles, but I'm not aware of the fluid having been changed. Would you guess that to be a more likely culprit for the trans failure?

It's "possible" that not having the kit installed may have led to a premature failure. The filter is more of a screen meant to catch larger particles.

How many miles are on the car? Was the transmission fluid changed routinely?

My AT had about 179k miles on it, and it was pretty much done. It still worked, but shifts were sluggish, and it slipped. To get it back to new, it would've needed a complete rebuild, which I didn't want to do, so I put in an MT.

Hi,

I have just checked again and there are only two coolant hoses going into the radiator. There are no hoses going or coming out of the tranny. Anywhere. I am completely lost.

Does anyone have pictures of the filter kit and ATF cooler installed. Could it be that I have a simple radiator without any atf cooling on the car?

Please help!

I want to change the fluid and get it right at the same time. Fluid doesn't come very cheap around here either.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Best regards

Dusan

Hi,

The car was bought in Germany as new. I am just trzing to figure out whether this would be a good safeguard to having premature automatic transmission problems. I plan to put a lot on kilometers on the clock and would not like to find myself with the prospect of needing a new tranny because I could have prevented this with a do-able improvement.

I would really appreciate pictures.

As to climate conditions the temperature here ranges between max -25 in the winter to 45 degrees Celsius in the summer.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Dusan

The ATF lines going into the radiator are smaller rubber lines. If you're standing in front of the car, and look on the right end side of the radiator, you should see two little fittings that have lines going to the transmission. If you don't see these fittings, then they either didn't put the atf cooler on your car, or someone swapped in a MT radiator and routed the lines into themself so the fluid would just go back to the tranny.

Either way, I still think it would be beneficial to have the tranny cooler. How many miles/km are on the car already? If there's a lot of miles on it already, it may be a mute point to stick a tranny cooler on now if it never had one.

Hi,

I'll try to post pictures as soon as I make them which will hopefully be later today or tomorrow. I do not see any other hoses than the cooling ones. The car is original as far as I know and has 95,000 km on the clock. I bought it from a single family which has owned it since new. No accidents and there sure seem to be no usual tell-tale signs of any. Original paint all around, a slight parking scrape here and there etc.

I would appreciate all the info in this respect. Part numbers as well (or even aftermarket in view of the prices in the "stealership").

Out of interest I just called the local big dealer to inquire about the price of a regular 100,000 km service (that's cca. 60,000 miles) and I got quoted the following: 1650 euros (around 2,000 USD).

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards

Dusan