Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i thought all ea81 blocks were the same?

well i guess i learned something new today the hard way. i thought all ea81 blocks were the same.

i took a bad ea81 out of an 83 coupe, was going to throw in a ea81 from a 82 brat[i think]. coupe was an auto. brat block was a 4 speed. both blocks are stamped ea81.

took off the flywheel to install the auto flex-plate... and the flex plate will not physically clear the block. upon closer inspection the block is physically different.

so i am kinda stuck.

anyone ever put a ea82 into an 83 2wd coupe? i have a couple of those motors laying around... the flexplate fits on those motors...

What you have is an auto vs. manual bellhousing. If you look at the back of the block you will see a bunch of bolt heads inside the bellhousing(about 8-10 I think). If you remove those bolts you can swap the bellhousing. Make sure to use some sealant when you put it back together or it will leak forever. Also use lock-tite(thread sealant) on the bolts. This will also prevent oil leaks as the front side of the crank flange is exposed to the oil journals.

Good luck!

Also note that you will need to use the distributor from the '83. In '82 they used an ignition amplifier(parts connected to the holddown bracket on the coil).