Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OB engine cuts out when driving

My wife drives a 96 2,5 Outback (automatic) phase one 1st HG.

She has encountered a problem with the engine suddenly cutting out while driving.

This is the scene:

It happens only on cold (no ice) foggy mornings with a lot of damp (typical Dutch winter).

She drives about 2 miles to bring the kids to school (no problems with starting or diriving) Its just enough to bring the car to its working temp.

Then she stops for approx 10 minutes to let the kids out. She starts again. All ok. Then when driving about 100 yards, the engine cuts out completely and also quite sudden. When she starts it will start up but a bit hessitating. Then she parks the car (with engine running) waits till the engine is smooth and drives off. No problems after that.

I pulled all the codes (nothing, not even pending) changed plugs and wires (OEM). Sprayed the wires. Still happens.

109k miles has new O2 sensors, new cranck-, cam sensors, PVC is new...

I have the feeling it must be in the ignition somewhere. But there are no codes...

Does this sound familiar to you? Any ideas?

Jaap

What type of MAF sensor does the car have?

You might want to try running the car at night and spraying a fine mist around the electrical components to see if you see any arcing, which might indicate insulation breakdown somewhere in the electrical wiring/components.

Lothar34: the fuel filter is 500 miles old. But I don't see how this would influence the engine under the conditions I mentioned.

Legacy777: I like your idea. Will try that soon.

Thanks

Jaap

• 3 weeks later...

Legacy777: I like your idea. Will try that soon.

Thanks

Jaap

Legacy777 I tried the spraying with water. No indication.

However I skipped your remark on the MAF. Its the vortex type airflow with a hot wire. Could that cause an instant engine cut out?

Is cleaning an option?

They are rather expensive.

Also was thinking of the engine temp sensor, although doesn't realy make sence as the car is at working temp.

The vapour lock mentioned earlier I would expect at high outside temp.

Any advice on the MAF-sensor?

Thanks

jaaph

The Netherlands

I don't have a lot of experience with subaru engines, however, I did have a similliar problem with my old car. It ended up being the distributor. The car would just cut out completely, after a month or so it got so bad that it just wouldn't work, and left me stranded.(Don't need this with your wife and kids) Other guys here can certainly help you out mor than I can with the electrical system in subarus. Just trying to help.

Legacy777 I tried the spraying with water. No indication.

However I skipped your remark on the MAF. Its the vortex type airflow with a hot wire. Could that cause an instant engine cut out?

Is cleaning an option?

They are rather expensive.

Also was thinking of the engine temp sensor, although doesn't realy make sence as the car is at working temp.

The vapour lock mentioned earlier I would expect at high outside temp.

Any advice on the MAF-sensor?

Thanks

jaaph

The Netherlands

Reason I mentioned the MAF is because my car had a similar issue which was caused by the MAF sensor. However it was intermittant and plagued me for about a year or so before I got good confirmation on a code after a more serious stumbling/stalling.

You could try gently/lightly spraying brake cleaner into the sensor area by holding the can back a bit. There may be some gunk built up in there.

Yeah they aren't cheap. You might want to try a used one if you suspect it to be the culprit.

How often/frequent is this happening?

Reason I mentioned the MAF is because my car had a similar issue which was caused by the MAF sensor. However it was intermittant and plagued me for about a year or so before I got good confirmation on a code after a more serious stumbling/stalling.

You could try gently/lightly spraying brake cleaner into the sensor area by holding the can back a bit. There may be some gunk built up in there.

Yeah they aren't cheap. You might want to try a used one if you suspect it to be the culprit.

How often/frequent is this happening?

about 4 times a month in winter