Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Help - Electrical Power Loss
Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:42 PM
The car was having some trouble with the starter at the end of the summer when I parked it. Now, it won't start even with the assistance of a hammer swing to the starter. There was, however, a click sound when the key is turned. So, I pulled it out today and had the internal contacts cleaned (I thought they were corroded but they were just dirty). When I reinstalled it, there was a small spark as I attached the battery cable - didn't think much of it.
Now when I turn the key, there is no clicking sound as before and no power anywhere. The only things that do have power are the dome light, the hazard light, and the horn. The dash shows no readings and things like the lights don't work. Jumping the car does nothing at all.
I'm thinking that maybe there is a bad fuse somewhere. Asside from that I'm lost. I think that the battery is fine.
Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:50 PM
it's a black rectangle box near the battery, pop the cover off, remove each one and check for continuity
best place for new ones is the junk yard
good luck sparky
to see if the starter is crap run a hot wire to the male connector, the small one
to hotwire the igniton, run a wire from battery + to coil +
Posted 20 November 2004 - 09:00 PM
I can't figure out how to pop it off w/out exerting little-box-breaking-pressures. It has a direct wire to the battery. Can you tell me if that's the right little black box?
Thanks for the help
Posted 20 November 2004 - 10:52 PM
I checked carb and turbo
Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:34 AM
And as usual, check all of your grounds.....
Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:04 AM
It's pink in color and located under the steering column.
(panel needs pulled)
They have a habit of corroding and melting open the hot feed to
the ig switch and all circuits controlled by it.
Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:50 PM
Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:23 AM
IT BLEW FOR A REASON
FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE YOU HURT SOMETINNG
THE FUSIBLE LINK IS MORE THAN JUST WIRE, WIRE WILL NOT BLOW AT 180 AMPS
DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU:cool:
Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:27 PM
But yeah, I think I just didn't communicate well, there. I did use the proper fusible link wire.
Thanks for the concern
Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:49 AM
a spark takes about 5-15 amps
communication is crucial
Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:14 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users