Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On a ot of cars after four years or so the lube hardens in the window track and mechanism. I would lube the rubber with rubber lube and take the door panel off and clean and relube the tracks. You have to remove the panel anyway to replace the motor and one relubes the tracks for installation so you lose nothing if you try it. On most cars just lube fixes it.

and I get it from my BMW dealer. Around here in CA most auto parts stores sell thier own version. Just go in and ask them. The window mechanism that is metal should be lubricated with a good grease that stays put. Again most auto parts stores sell something that will do the job. The stuff I use is called white moly lube and seems to have a life of a few years before hardening.

I also use the moly lube on all my hinges and locks, with the exception of the lock cylinders. For that I use a specialized lock lube available from lock smiths.

down on silicon. But these days it's in everything. The only reason I don't use it on the BMW are that the seals are very expensive and convertible roof can leak easily if the seals dry out. Gummi expands them.

Anything that will lube them will probably work and the silicon can help to keep the windows from freezing shut.

If you are about to paint the car be very careful where you get the silicon as it can cause bubbles in paint and be hard to remove.

I don't recomend WD40 becuse it really was designed to be a penetrant and doesn't stick around and lube long. We used to spray it on truck roller doors weekly which is more often that I want to bother.

• 6 years later...