Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GF Hardtop

Guest Leeroy

I have asked this question before, but being new to this message board I seem to have misplaced it! So I will ask again and hope that some one out there can help me. Does the stage 1 or 2 Subarus share the same floorpan between models? Can you, for example, put the 4WD running gear under a hardtop or coupe? Thanks. P.S. I used to think I was alone in my love for Subarus (current 'icon' status in Australia not withstanding) after seeing these message boards and web sites I now have a nice warm glow inside.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

So yer talking like putting a 4wd transmission out of a 4wd Wagon into a 2 door Coupe of the same year? Oh yeah, you can definatly do that. I took all my extra tranny's and engine stuff out of a wagon and 2 hatchbacks. The only things that can't really be swapped is model specific parts, like you can't put the back doors off a wagon onto a Brat, (although you can use the doors off of a 2dr coupe or HB on a Brat). Hope this helps ya. Catch ya laters.

I have replaced components between two 83 wagons, one 83 2 door hardtop, one 83 BRAT, one 83 HatcBack and one 85 BRAT. In all cases the running gear was exactly the same. Some things like the exhaust are also direct swaps, may need to lengthen tailpipe though. If You need any help, let me know Mark

Guest GeoffreyR

A GF hardtop should be able to take the drivetrain from a Gen-I BRAT, as mentioned above. Furthermore, a Gen-I BRAT can be modified to take a Gen-II BRAT's 4-speed D/R transmission and either an EA-81 or an EA-71X (I guess that's what we can call the EA-71 with the EA-81 tranny bellhousing... i.e. '86 HB 4WD 1600cc)... So you could concievably have a dual-range GF hardtop. I'd be interested in seeing that. :)