Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

is there anyway i could make or find a cold air intake for an 86 gl hatch??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stickboyp

stickboyp

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • oroville

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:47 PM

i like my suburu, but it just isnt fast enough for me, ive raced a few times but i lost to this fool with a granny car... enough said,, is there any way to make my car faster?

#2 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:56 PM

i like my suburu, but it just isnt fast enough for me, ive raced a few times but i lost to this fool with a granny car... enough said,, is there any way to make my car faster?

Faster yes but 'Fast'....uhm.....No. Intake air filter and adapter from your local store or Ebay. Get a custom exhaust made from shops like Meineke and such.

Got $$$? Send your engine to Ram Performance.

Got more $$$, find a reputable shop to somehow stuff a WRX engine and tranny into your car.

#3 stickboyp

stickboyp

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • oroville

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

how much would a custom exhaust cost?? just ballpark?

Faster yes but 'Fast'....uhm.....No. Intake air filter and adapter from your local store or Ebay. Get a custom exhaust made from shops like Meineke and such.

Got $$$? Send your engine to Ram Performance.

Got more $$$, find a reputable shop to somehow stuff a WRX engine and tranny into your car.

#4 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:45 PM

i would 2nd the vote for getting a hot rod ea81 engine from RAM...if your car is an 86 hatch..if its an 86 wagon then you have a different engine

#5 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

Your looking at around $250 for a custom exhaust. If you want a custom Y pipe with that exhaust add another $75-$100 to the job. If you find a local muffler shop, most can give you quotes.

There's a how-to somewhere out there on making an adapter for a cone airfilter. I'll have to try to find it.

-Brian

#6 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

At 16 what you need are "skills, ability, and experience". Try getting those down first, before you kill yourself, or worse yet someone else!!!! Lecture over, Tim

#7 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:27 PM

if its n/a a 36/32 webber carb makes a big difference down low. After youve done both the intake and exhuast the next step would be engine internals a cam and maybe a mild port while your in there. you could even bump up the compression a bit for some good gains. as ea81 are used a fair bit a kit airplanes theres a few shops arround like ram perforance that sell performance aftermarket parts for ea81's but this stuff does cost a fair bit of dough. and also you may have an ea82 as you didnot say what year car you drive. if your looking for a racer maybe you should be savingn your money for an ej22, ej25 or ej20t halfcut as all these engines would destoy a worked ea81.

#8 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:04 AM

for the cone filter, get a K&N filter, and then get a SPFI air intake hose that runs from the MAF to the fuel injector

problem solved

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

yes, i second the spfi snorkel idea. i did this on my hatch. i had to file a little channel all the way around the spigon on the carb, so that the rubber had something to bite into. worked pretty well. or mpfi has a cooler snorkel thingy, that should fit also.

on the exhaust. you can gut your cats, and take your muffler off, for free =].

but ya, at 16, you prolly dont have too much money. id say its time to start learnin how to do stuff on your own=]. instead of spending money at a shop, buy a 200$ welder and go to town. thats how i learned.

#10 stickboyp

stickboyp

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • oroville

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:11 PM

about the welding idea,, i can weld very well with an arc, but i really havent tryed the wire feed yet but i hear its better, i like the suggestions thank you everyone. but if you find anything else out, or have any other suggestions by all means tell me. :)
adam p.

#11 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

well since your hatch is a carb...go with the weber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users