Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is there anyway i could make or find a cold air intake for an 86 gl hatch??

i like my suburu, but it just isnt fast enough for me, ive raced a few times but i lost to this fool with a granny car... enough said,, is there any way to make my car faster?

Faster yes but 'Fast'....uhm.....No. Intake air filter and adapter from your local store or Ebay. Get a custom exhaust made from shops like Meineke and such.

Got $$$? Send your engine to Ram Performance.

Got more $$$, find a reputable shop to somehow stuff a WRX engine and tranny into your car.

how much would a custom exhaust cost?? just ballpark?

Faster yes but 'Fast'....uhm.....No. Intake air filter and adapter from your local store or Ebay. Get a custom exhaust made from shops like Meineke and such.

Got $$$? Send your engine to Ram Performance.

Got more $$$, find a reputable shop to somehow stuff a WRX engine and tranny into your car.

if its n/a a 36/32 webber carb makes a big difference down low. After youve done both the intake and exhuast the next step would be engine internals a cam and maybe a mild port while your in there. you could even bump up the compression a bit for some good gains. as ea81 are used a fair bit a kit airplanes theres a few shops arround like ram perforance that sell performance aftermarket parts for ea81's but this stuff does cost a fair bit of dough. and also you may have an ea82 as you didnot say what year car you drive. if your looking for a racer maybe you should be savingn your money for an ej22, ej25 or ej20t halfcut as all these engines would destoy a worked ea81.

yes, i second the spfi snorkel idea. i did this on my hatch. i had to file a little channel all the way around the spigon on the carb, so that the rubber had something to bite into. worked pretty well. or mpfi has a cooler snorkel thingy, that should fit also.

on the exhaust. you can gut your cats, and take your muffler off, for free =].

but ya, at 16, you prolly dont have too much money. id say its time to start learnin how to do stuff on your own=]. instead of spending money at a shop, buy a 200$ welder and go to town. thats how i learned.

about the welding idea,, i can weld very well with an arc, but i really havent tryed the wire feed yet but i hear its better, i like the suggestions thank you everyone. but if you find anything else out, or have any other suggestions by all means tell me. :)

adam p.