Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For those queries re: AWD in snow, got my first chance in the '95 Legacy today.

Pulled right up the driveway from hell, with nary a spin (fresh snow over ice). Just to try I ran up in 2nd to low highway speeds. With my 15's and studded tires (no don't ask, I *don't* remember the size), fifty mph in 2nd is exactly 4,500 rpm. So, if you feel you need the 50/50 lock you're good to 55 or so, which is fast enough in heavy snow. That said, in regular drive I was quite comfortable and stable at 60. Now fishtailing during lane changes across fresh snow, and the roads hadn't been plowed or sanded.

By the time work is over we should have a foot or so ... YAY!

You'll really like that there is no longer any white-knuckled driving with all wheel drive and good snow/ice grip tires, as long as you don't get overconfident. In bad weather our OBW has been the car of choice since our first one in 97. I'll keep buying one as long as Subaru keeps making them as well as they are now. To those with the newest generation of OB's with the 16 inch 225 tires,.....consider a narrower tire if you buy winter tires. My 97 had 205's that cut through the snow better, rather than riding up on top of it like these 225's do. I could drive faster in snow with the old OB with narrower tires than I can with my 02 with the wider tires. I can't wait to wear out the winter tires I have now, so I can replace them with something narrower. And, no, I'm not going to sell them so that I can get something narrower. I'll just slow down for the meantime.

gbhrps, I've been driving an AWD Sybaru for three years (when The Pretty One lets me have it). This was the first snow time in my 'new' '95. The gear/speed check was a response to an earlier query by someone asking about the 50/50 vs 90/10 traction split.

We've had 4WD Subarus since 1982 or so, and by far the AWD system beats the 4WD in snow.

To quote Ronald McDonald "I'm lovin' it!"