Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Death of a Subaru...

I have been wrenching on a 1983 2WD wagon that I just bought for a few weekends. I thought I had all problems fixed until it (I assume) threw a rod this weekend. I was driving it to put new tires on it and begin it's new life as my commuter car when it made a sound like I'd ran over a fire hydrant and quit. The engine will not turn over anymore, siezed up.

Does anyone know where I can get a 1.8L engine on the cheap? I guess it wouldn't have to be that engine, any engine that would bolt up to my automatic tranny would work. Or, would anyone like to buy a 1983 2WD wagon. It has a straight body and only a little rust around the bolt holes where someone installed the roof rack. I'd like to fix it but I can't justify spending much on a new engine. If you have any questions email me. woodmattc@yahoo.com

I feel that the guy who sold me the car was an idiot. Thus absolved from most responsibility. Luckily we didn't pay much for it (we brought him down from $300 to $200) We knew that it had a problem with the heads and front CV joint when we bought it. I replaced the bad CV joint. I also replaced a head gasket on the drivers side upon inspection of its plugs. That stopped the white smoke and made it run a lot better. We changed the oil and I believed the problem solved. But then I noticed steam/water coming out of the breather valve. Water in the oil. I hoped that it was just left over water from the previous problem and would work itself out. It didn't seem to be using any water so I decided to drive it a little and see how it acted. After driving 10 miles or so it began to get hot. I checked the water at a gas station and it was low. I put a couple liters of water in it and started home. I figured it was either the other head gasket or maybe it had been a cracked head after all. I never made it home. After putting water in it the temp went down so I thought it was okay to drive it home. At the bottom of a hill it made a terrible noise under the hood. Pretty much sounded like I was dragging a metal gate under the front of the car. I pulled over and of course the engine had died. I tried to crank it but all it did was make all the dash lights go dim. I assume that the engine is seized up since the starter couldn't turn it. I haven't had time to look at it since.