Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Performance Rally Car

car48_ss01.jpg

Yep. Check it out.

We finished the car at 3:30 AM the morning before the rally started.

We were running 11th overall out of 50 cars until the head gasket blew after 7 stages.

When we called it quits, we were 11th overall and 2nd in class (national and regional rallies), and we were 3rd overall and 1st in class for the regional portion.

Our class is P4. Which consisted of WRX's, Talons, and a 2.5 RS.

mods:

Roll Cage, which resembles a kids jungle gym.

Suspension, The only thing we spent money on, it's fully custom Bilstien Chromoly Coil-overs.

Exhaust, Full 2.25 inch turbo back. The only "muffler" is a hi-flo cat (mandatory) which is placed in the rear where the stock muffler is placed.

Intake, K&N filter.

Brakes, Brembo Rotors all round, with PBR metal master pads.

The headgasket...well...i also ice race these cars, and we blow head gaskets probably twice a year. It's always cyl #3. Were looking into copper/metal gaskets right now.

This company http://www.headgasket.com already has the cad files neccassary to cut them for the EA82's. I called, and was quoted a price of $90 for the set. This does not include extra thin steel rings around the cylinders. Those are $15 a cylinder. So it would be $150 for a set of headgaskets and rings + whatever sealant you wanted + shipping.

I am also looking to get some ARP head studs. To help get more torque on the copper gaskets.

Great Work, I’ve be awaiting the debut of your car, nothing like doing it old school and being competitive… Inspirational! If I could muster the cash I be right there with you in my ’87.

Gary

P.S. did you get the suspenders from John Van-whatever?

Exhaust, Full 2.25 inch turbo back. The only "muffler" is a hi-flo cat (mandatory) which is placed in the rear where the stock muffler is placed.

The headgasket...well...i also ice race these cars, and we blow head gaskets probably twice a year. It's always cyl #3. Were looking into copper/metal gaskets right now.

Very interesting! First off, congrats on running so well in the company you keep in your class. That says a lot of your driving skill and the potential of your car.

Ok, why did you choose 2.25" exhaust piping instead of 2.5" or 3"?

What happens to head gasket by #3 cylinder is very interesting also. I thought I read in another post that you (or maybe it was someone else) had this problem ironed out?!? If you do find out the reason the head gasket blows out around #3 cylinder, please share it with us. I know I'll take all the necessary precautions to avoid a head gasket blowing out in the future with whatever you peeps (everyone at the USMB) find. I just want to rule out any weak links before turning up the boost.

the car is really set-up pretty much stock!

the mods i listed are really the only changes.

The suspension is the biggest thing...and i'll try and get some pictures of that up a little later today.

Why we chose 2.25 for the exhaust...you really need to be logical. 2.25 inch will flow enough air for something like 400 HP. You ever noticed that like 600 hp V8's use 3 inch exhaust? There seriously is no reason why you need anything larger than 2.25 inch....if you go any bigger, you do loose bottom end.

Why we chose 2.25 for the exhaust...you really need to be logical. 2.25 inch will flow enough air for something like 400 HP. You ever noticed that like 600 hp V8's use 3 inch exhaust? There seriously is no reason why you need anything larger than 2.25 inch....if you go any bigger, you do loose bottom end.

That's what I wanted to know. When I ran a 2.25" cat back exhaust on my Outback Sport, it's low end was pretty brutal (used with nitrous). I was always curious as to if the piping diameter was a tad too small and I that maybe I should've went with a 2.5". The torque was really fun though.

I don't want to lose any low end torque with the EA82T setup. As a matter of fact, low-midrange torque means everything to me nowadays. Thanks!

if you want low end TQ/HP....this was a really good setup:

Take the stocke DP and second cat...GUT IT. Leave the stock DIA exh...but replace the muffler with either stright pipe or a cherry bomb.

Turbo at full boost no later than 2400. Start spooling at 1800. :banana:

Mid/Hi is better, but not as good as with the TWE stuff.