Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Autotrannys and Power Flushing

Guest Skip

After reading the posts on tranny failures, I would like to here opinions on the $100 tranny flush. My 87 turbo wagon is at the ripe ol age of 108k. Will this help preserve it? What else, beside common sense driving, can I do to keep the tranny heathy? Thanks for all the good info.

Guest john long

Skip, Change the ATF and filter at factory recommended intervals, replace ATF with a synthetic product like Redline (really expensive), install an ATF cooler up front (not difficult), and adjust the bands.

Skip, the Subaru dealer I worked for uses the power flush machine and from personal experience I can tell you it is a must! The first time we used it, we did the flush on a 87 GL 4wd sedan that had the screen and fluid changed roughly 5000 miles earlier. When we saw the old fulid coming out( our machine let you watch the old fluid coming out and the new going in) everyone's jaws dropped to the ground. The fluid was BLACK even though it looked pretty clean on the stick. The oil in the torque converter can never be accessed so when you just change the screen and fluid, you are mixing new fluid with a fair amount of dirty old fluid every single time! The transmission worked alot better after it was done and since then we have had numerous people come back to tell us how much different the tranny feels after the flush. If I owned an auto( especially a turbo!), I would make sure this gets done every 20-30k miles, probably closer to 20 since it's a turbo. I've never had experience with synthetic ATF( except in my power steering which it did wonders for), but if it works as good as synthetic oil, I'd go for it. Hope this helps.

Skip, yes it is called the "Select Monitor". Matter of fact, I just stopped up my old dealer yesterday and snuck it into my car when they weren't looking:) I wanted to check my O2 sensor voltage( rich or lean), mas air flow voltage, TPS, timing, and knock correction since I raised the boost 1psi or so. Everything checked out ok but it turns out that the Mass air flow meter was in the memory for trouble codes and I do remember my car hesitating when on the gas hard the other night. It must have been something minor as it did not set the "check engine" light off but obviously the ECU remembers it! Another code was for the knock sensor( BTW, the ECU was reset many times before so I know these codes weren't in there for any long amount of time), and when I was watching the knock correction( amount of degrees of timing the knock sensor retards), it never moved from 0 degrees meaning either there was absolutely no sign of detontation or the knock sensor isn't working. I've never heard pinging and only use sunoco 94 but that still seems a bit strange, especially for a turbo! Again, no check engine light. I'm going to throw a knock sensor on just to see what happens. Sorry to go on for so long, just thought I'd mention two possible problems that the Select Monitor brought to my attention that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Will call on Mon. to set up appointment, I'll tell you upfront that I don't trust anyone working on my car. I trust your knowledge Shik, just don't trust any dealer.