Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What about Largest rim/tire combo for stock ea82???

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

i apologize if this has been answered before, but i didnt see it in the archives.

I've got a brand new set of all-seasons on the stock 13" steels on my loyale. I was thinking of turning around and selling all four tires/rims and getting a larger set of rims as a couple of peugeuts have showed their face at the yard.

At stock height, with no mods, what is the largest tire/rim combo that you would suggest doing to the loyale...

there are some 14" alloys and some 15" steels i think...my objective with this car is not to off-road, i just want it to have a little beefier of a profile..

Guest 4X4MUDRAT

i wouldn't go any taller than 24". before i put the lift in my MY i had 26" on and they scrubbed all the time. like i mean whenever i turned a corner or hit a bump. but i think the L has slightly more guard clearance than the MY. well, i wouldn't go any more than 24". that's about 185/60/14. i think.

If street is the ONLY thing it is goign to be used for try a set of 15" Aluminum pugs with 205/50R15 tires. The best CHEAP tire is the Kuhmo 712. I don't know if it comes in that size. You may have to run a 195/50 or some other narrower size. a 205/55R15 is about an inch taller than the stock tire.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

i dont buy cheep tires..only da good shieet :smokin

so you sya 205/55R15... wow..without rubbing? does anyone on this board have a stock ea82 with 15" pugs?? iwould like to see a picture of that..

I had a set of Pug alloy's on my '84 Hatch before I lifted it. I then sold them to Szigi and he put them on his '85 EA82 wagon. Tires were 195/65R15. Stock Peugoet STI Turbo tire size.

Qman

the tallest tires you can get for the stock 13" rims is 185/80R13.

they give you approx .75" "lift" over stock tires

I got 4 Kelly-Springfields at the goodyear shop for $131 total mounted/balanced.....

subex_4.JPG

They are just a little too big to work for off road unless you roll the rear fender lips.

I now have them on my brat. Which strangely required me to roll the corner on ONE front fender.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

you guys are always helpful..thanks..

yeah..no off-roading for this baby.. i just want a more sturdy base for my long-trip cruises...

btw..i see what your saying about the rear fender lips needing to be rolled for off-road..how do those pugs FEEL on there, any better??

On the wagon its insane. Full throttle launches in the rain. nealry picking a tire off the ground on the 1-2 shift, going around corners at FAR FAR greater speeds than most normal cars. However it quickly showed how terribly wasted my stock springs were in that body roll was the worst I've ever seen, and it understeered like mad until I got some steel spring spacers into the front springs. I needed to do the back but the small diamiter winding of the rear coilovers prevent that.

So you might want to plan on having the money for new struts and springs for the best ride/handling. http://www.kingsprings.com seems to be a good place for aftermarket springs for subies. 2wd springs will lower a GL-10 wagon ALOT, and prevent the lift kit look my wagon had.

The jury is still out on the brat.

Guest SUBYDAZZ

Witte: re: "Which strangely required me to roll the corner on ONE front fender."

Perhaps check for radius rod bending or condition of the radius rod rubbers.

:) :rollin: :)

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

when you say steel spring spacers, is that because the larger rim causes the spring to bunch, and the spacers help spread the springs a bit?? since a loyale is the same as the gl-10, i can get 2wd struts off of any ea823 right?

sounds like this is a good mod for all those ea82 daily drivers..

The steel spacers were the adjustible ones with two bolts per spacer. It needed them as the springs were shot, and thus far topo soft for the much higher grip of the pugs&new tires.

On the brat, I do believe it might be the lower control arm is a little loose, but I only had to get 1/10th of an inch to get it to work. It could also be that the fender was pushed back slightly in the past.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

so if i slap a brand new set of struts/shocks on there when i do the pugs/tires, it should go smoothly with the specs you mentioned before, without having to use spacers or curl any fender lips?

btw- how does using bigger tires make it more likey to chirp in 1/2nd? knda confused

It makes it less likely as you are putting more tread on the ground, and usualy a better class of tire too. On my wagon instead of spinning a tire or two breifly on the 1-2 shift, it would pick up the front end until the driverside front tire became unloaded to the point where the car could dump all the extra power out that tire.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

it feels sometimes like the wheels are too small for what the engine wants to put out on a lot of hard accelerations.. start of in first a little too fast, and the little 13"'s break on a dime and pitch the wheel left briefly...

thanks witte...i would want a nice sporty, low-profile tyre for the soob on some 15"pug alloys...i heard the tires specs that you are using...i want a shorter tire, one that looks a little "sportier" if you will..what is the widest i can go on the ea82"s??...

205 is the widest I'd go on the pugs. I think some of the early pug alloys might have been a bit wider than the later alloys and the steels. 195 will still be plenty wide if the tires of the hight you want are only avalible in that size.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

do you think it'll look wierd with 195 or 205 and real short profile tires (from rim to tread) i forget how thats measured.....

you said something about the "lifted look" is that where the 2wd struts/shocks come into play? theyre stiffer and a little bit lower, right?

Well if the shortest tire you use is a 195/50R15 which is just a shade smaller than stock it should be fine.

I only mentioned the 2wd springs as you are going to keep it on the road and they are the only lowering springs avalible. They will make fender clearence more critical, but a little rolling of the fender lips never hurt anyone. The lifted look comes when using a larger than stock tire. For some reason it makes a HUGE difference in the visual hight of a subaru while alot of other cars look nearly the same.

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

i see whta your saying, I dont think that i phrased my question properly..i meant will i get the awkward look where theres a big gap from the top of the tire to the body, but with 15" rims...i doubt ill have that problem, even if i do use low profile tires...thanks...i think you just about answered that one for me witte

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is like 3 years old but I am looking for information that this thread pertains too. I am currently in the market for new tires on an RX. I always have shopped at Tirerack but they do not have any tires for 13" rims (or none I could find).

Does anyone know where I can shop for 13" tires for an RX? I want 13's even though I know 14s and 15s are more so available. I read earlier in this thread that 13" tires can make the tires break loose somewhat during hard acceleration. I rather this than toasting my tranny since I'll be trying to learn to race this car from time to time at the strip (manual tranny). I really don't know how to drive a manual and am currently teaching myself. That's another story!

Again, this car is primarily for transportation and occasional racing (dragstrips for testing purposes and fun). All I want to know is where can I get some 13" tires online. Thanks!

On my '88 RX i have the 14", however, i have 13" on my brat around some spoker rims.

The best tire i could find for the brat for what i was doing- crusing, racing, commuting, and little off roading (i have to wait for my mods before i do a lot of that), i bought the yokohama 13" variation. These are NOT touring tires. Hama's varieties are extremely grippy, a softer compound, and therefore are only actually good for 30-40k miles. I don't know how you drive it, but seeing as you have the same car i do, you know that, unless you have an o/d gear (non-stock) or a faster 5th speed, the RXs are not super for road trips. in that case, i'd go for the Yokohamas.

Once you know what you want, buy tires at samsclub. i hate walmart and big corperations to pieces, but i put that aside if i can save $10-30 on each tire. I don't know how theor internet sales work, but i bet there's a local outlet near you (wink!)

Good luck learning the manual... like riding a bike... you're lucky to have an RX to learn on, if maintained, they shift like my friend's saab.