Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy - lots of miles questions

I have a 95 Legacy wagon, 5 spd, AWD with 226,000 miles. I think it's finally starting to get broken in. Anyway, I've noticed that when I accelerate pretty hard, I'll hear a whistling sound. It's more pronounced starting around 4000 RPMs or so. If I just level off and hold it at any RPM, the whistling stops, and it starts back up again when I stomp on it. The belts don't appear to be loose, but they may be old. I bought the car in the summer of '03 with 175,000 and I had the timing belt replaced at 180,000, but other than that I've just replaced fluids.

Also, I tend to cruise at about 75 on the Interstate (almost all my driving is on the highway) and I seem to consume about 3/4 quart of oil every 3,000 miles. From what I've read on the board that's not too bad. However, when I crawl under it it seems like theres a fair amount of shiny gunk underneath the engine. Nothing drips onto the driveway, but I'm wondering if I'll need to have some work done next spring when I hit 240,000 miles. I currently run Castrol 20w50 high mileage oil. (When I bought it a mechanic suggested I run heavy stuff in it).

Thanks - Adam

At that mileage, your consumption is nothing to worry about. Just keep and eye on it. And the coolant level too!

Whistling sound is most likely a leak in the intake system. You should check all the pipework from the air filter box and up to the throttle body, but ultimately I would suspect the intake manifold gasket. Shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I would agree on the wind noise issue as being intake related. I also concur with the oil consumption and leak situation. If the car is running well otherwise, with all of those miles on it, it becomes the law of diminishing returns. A quart of oil between oil changes sounds a whole lot cheaper than replacing a whole pile of gaskets on a high mileage engine that has how many more miles left in it?