Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Approx. cost of new exhaust?

Hi all, First off i'd like to wish everyone a very happy and safe thanksgiving!

Now down to business...

I have a '94 legacy GT wgn, and i do believe i need a whole new exhaust, from the drop pipes on back. Can anyone give me a ball park $$ figure for this and also on OEM vs. aftermarket? (for those that have been following my posts, i'm torn between fixing my subie, and looking for something else)

As usual, all help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Jared

Well, Danish price would in the region of $2000. I expect it will be cheaper stateside, since y'all have less taxes on your goods.

Even so, this would be the time to decide on keeping or trading, the cost of an entire exhaust represents a large portion of the car's value.

I'd take the car to an independent exhaust shop (Midas or the like) and get a quote. They can often save you big $ by re-using parts of the system that are still good. My son's '88 GL Wagon needed the exhaust system from the cat back; the dealer quoted more than $250 for parts only. A local independent exhaust shop replaced the same parts for $145, including installation.

Hi all, First off i'd like to wish everyone a very happy and safe thanksgiving!

Now down to business...

I have a '94 legacy GT wgn, and i do believe i need a whole new exhaust, from the drop pipes on back. Can anyone give me a ball park $$ figure for this and also on OEM vs. aftermarket? (for those that have been following my posts, i'm torn between fixing my subie, and looking for something else)

As usual, all help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Jared

We (90-94 Legacy owners) were blessed with the welded on (goofy) cat converter. I found one at www.advanceautoparts.com for around $500.00 made by Borla. This is sweet because it is Borla but besides that is is pretty expensive. Some exhaust shops will fab up a new exhuast with a universal cat for a FEE $$$$$ but none will willingly due away with the cat all together. I gutted my cat and I sorta wish I didn't because it sounds like a can of rocks.

I purchased an exhaust manifold from an early model EJ22 imprezza from www.aaronsauto.com for $100.00 plus $15.00 shipping and plan on letting everyone know how it sounds and works when it is installed.

Best of luck! Hapy Thanksgiving.