Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine won't turn over - 99 OBW

Ok, I am planning on giving my old '99 OBW to my brother, now that I have my '05 OBXT. :D Here's the problem: although I have been pretty good about driving it for 20-30 miles on weekends, I did not manage to do so this past weekend. So it has been sitting for 10-11 days since last starting.

My wife went to move the cars around because we are having company, and she said it started rough. Unfortunately, rather than leaving it running for a bit, she just moved it and turned it off. I went out to run an errand a couple minutes later and now it won't start.

When I crank it, it will occassionally feel like it is about to "catch", but that only lasts half a second or so - a couple of "pops", then nada. I have tried the following:

Crank ten seconds, rest ten seconds, repeat.

Crank with pedal halfway down for 5-10 seconds, rest, repeat

Crank with pedal all the way down for 5 seconds, rest 5 seconds, repeat

The last method came from the "Flooded Engine" section of the owners manual, and seemed to come the closest to working. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I don't want to burn out the starter motor (or wear out the battery) by continuing to pound my head against a wall. Being fairly inept mechanically, I figured I would come to the experts for advice.

Any ideas what the problem could be, and how to fix same? Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Oh, if it matters, it is about 47 degrees with misty rain falling here. Don't know if that would affect it.

Thanks,

Charles