Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine won't turn over - 99 OBW

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 burke615

burke615

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Holden

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:30 PM

Ok, I am planning on giving my old '99 OBW to my brother, now that I have my '05 OBXT. :D Here's the problem: although I have been pretty good about driving it for 20-30 miles on weekends, I did not manage to do so this past weekend. So it has been sitting for 10-11 days since last starting.

My wife went to move the cars around because we are having company, and she said it started rough. Unfortunately, rather than leaving it running for a bit, she just moved it and turned it off. I went out to run an errand a couple minutes later and now it won't start.

When I crank it, it will occassionally feel like it is about to "catch", but that only lasts half a second or so - a couple of "pops", then nada. I have tried the following:

Crank ten seconds, rest ten seconds, repeat.
Crank with pedal halfway down for 5-10 seconds, rest, repeat
Crank with pedal all the way down for 5 seconds, rest 5 seconds, repeat

The last method came from the "Flooded Engine" section of the owners manual, and seemed to come the closest to working. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I don't want to burn out the starter motor (or wear out the battery) by continuing to pound my head against a wall. Being fairly inept mechanically, I figured I would come to the experts for advice.

Any ideas what the problem could be, and how to fix same? Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Oh, if it matters, it is about 47 degrees with misty rain falling here. Don't know if that would affect it.

Thanks,
Charles

#2 urabus retserof

urabus retserof

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Halifax

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:02 PM

Try fuel antifreeze. Sitting around for extended periods in our weather, tends to make it worse for moisture build up in fuel systems. You may need a new filter as well.

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

I wonder if you don't have enough voltage to the computer? I have seen cars that sat and could still turn over but not have enough power to run the computer to fire the plugs.

#4 burke615

burke615

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Holden

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll check those out tomorrow (or Friday if the stores are closed) and see how it goes.

Thanks again, and happy Thanksgiving!

- Charles

#5 kevinsUBARU

kevinsUBARU

hi

• Members
  • 2,964 posts
  • Ulster County

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:48 PM

To make your car run you need air, fuel, and spark. My guess is that your spark is the missing link, and I think your plugs might need replacing.

Good luck!
Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users