Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will this tranny swap work?

so will these trannys swap?

car is an 83 ea81 coupe 2WD automatic.

i may want to put a 5 spd tranny in from a 89 ea82 2wd gl wagon.

OR... car is the same- but put a 4spd d/r 4wd tranny in.

i guess the main thing i am wondering about are the axles... 2wd ea81 axles same as 2wd ea82 axles or the same as 4spd d/r 4wd axles?

this is shawn w's old white coupe via ananda, with a blown motor. put another ea81 in it and got it running good.

turns out the tranny wont shift into 3rd. i am gonna try the modulator and gov. fix this weekend, but if that does not work then will do a tranny swap. i have acess to both trannys so am looking at the best way to go...

any advice? thank you

so will these trannys swap?

car is an 83 ea81 coupe 2WD automatic.

i may want to put a 5 spd tranny in from a 89 ea82 2wd gl wagon.

OR... car is the same- but put a 4spd d/r 4wd tranny in.

i guess the main thing i am wondering about are the axles... 2wd ea81 axles same as 2wd ea82 axles or the same as 4spd d/r 4wd axles?

this is shawn w's old white coupe via ananda, with a blown motor. put another ea81 in it and got it running good.

turns out the tranny wont shift into 3rd. i am gonna try the modulator and gov. fix this weekend, but if that does not work then will do a tranny swap. i have acess to both trannys so am looking at the best way to go...

any advice? thank you

as long as the donor 5 speed isn't from a turbo, the ea81 front axles will work with it. you will not be able to use the ea82 axles in the coupe.

trans should bolt up no problem, though not sure if the AT trans mounts are different. should be able to follow the 5 speed swap stuff from the USRM at least for the trans piece. I don't think there's a article covering the pedal box swap...

a 4WD conversion would be awesome on that thing!

what was blown on the old motor? that was a relatively low mileage hydro lifter motor too.....

The swap will work, but its very labor intensive. If you have the donar car get the clutch pedal and cable(or whole box), the strut rod caps (the plates that the stab bar from lower A-Arm bolts to on the body), the tranny mount and all the linkage. If you swap to a 4wd, you need the complete rear driveline and suspension, along with the front suspension.

EA81 axles are the same except for the diameter. 4wd axles are thicker.

thanks for the replies. i have the complete 89 5spd car, so should have all the parts. i have done 2- 5 speed swaps into auto cars so i am well versed in the labor part. ugghh.

as for what happened to the motor?

i do not know, it was blown when i got it. i really wish i had a digital cam so i could take a pic of it.

there is a hole in the top of the block about the size of a childs fist. you can see the crank. one connecting rod is no longer connected. its an unconnecting rod. ha ha. the crank is gouged way deep and almost looks bent. the con rod is visably way bent. oil was white from water. basically the block is shot. could have good heads maybe.

guess what though? the dang thing STILL RAN!

i drove it up on my trailer, and drove it off when i got home.

its a neat little car. drove it a few miles after i got the motor in. everything works.... except the tranny.

if the tranny does not fix with the gov or mod. then in goes the 5spd. i think that car would be more fun to drive with a stick anyway.

as for a 4wd conversion? that would be really cool. i gotta think about it...

hey, i do have all winter, and they are mighty long up here...

thanks again for the swap info.