Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I disable A/C when defroster/foot outlet is selected?

My new 2004 Legacy has the A/C interlocked with 2 setting on the heater, 1)defroster AND 2) the defroster/foot outlet. To save fuel, I would like to disable the A/C when the defroster/foot setting is selected. In my 1996 Outback only the defroster setting was interlocked. Most of the time the widshield stayed clear with the defroster/foot setting. Is there a wiring diagram available?

Thank you

The defrost linked to the AC is a pain. I pull out the AC fuse on my 94 in the winter months and this solves the problem. In the spring I just plug the fuse back in. I store it in an envelope in the glovebox. I have done this for several years now.

This saves fuel, also, the AC goes on and off when the weather is cool and you are always adjusting the controls to keep the widshield clear.

silverlegacy, you should periodically put that fuse back in and run the A/C for at least a few minutes in the winter. It's bad for the compressor to go unused for too long; some seals can dry up and other bad stuff. That's one of the reasons OEMs like to make it automatically come on with the defroster (along with the fact that it helps defog).