Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Sunroof Sunshade Problems

Greetings to all... I have a 2001 Outback LTD Wagon with the dual roofs. The sunshade on the rear roof has somehow become disconnected/malaligned in its track and will not retract with the glass closed. It will however slide back with the glass roof -- like it is somehow attached to the glass.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? The Stealership wanted to remove the headliner and disassemble the whole sunroof but there MUST be an easier way. Any comments on this would be appreciated!

Chuck

2001 Outback LTD SW

95KM

I had the same issue with my 2000 Legacy GT. From the outside, open the door and stand on the doorsill with the moonroof open so you can see what's going on. In my case, the back moonroof shade had jumped the track similar to what you describe where the window would drag it back when opening the window. Examine both sides and you should be able to determine which one rides smoothly in the track and then try and gently reposition the misguided side. Then run around the yard yelling TADA!

There is a Technical Service Bulletin: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

Make : SUBARU Model : LEGACY Year : 2000

Manufacturer : SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.

Service Bulletin Num : 128003 Date of Bulletin: MAY 19, 2003

NHTSA Item Number: 10001727

Component: VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY

Summary:

SUNSHADE FOR REAR SUNROOF ON DUAL SUNROOF MODELS.

The following website is specific to your car's TSBs but doesn't mention this condition. Check out the other issues. These are not NHTSA safety recalls but rather SOA heads up bulletins for their dealerships.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

It's easy finding your way when you know where you are going!

Thanks, bus brother...

Once the rain finally stopped and I could spend some time fiddling with it, I managed to get it aligned and sliding again. The wife didn't really appreaciate my "TADA" when demonstrating the fix... at least I didn't run around the yard, then she may have thought I'd really gone off the deep end.

Thanks again for your note.

-Chuck-

I had the same issue with my 2000 Legacy GT. From the outside, open the door and stand on the doorsill with the moonroof open so you can see what's going on. In my case, the back moonroof shade had jumped the track similar to what you describe where the window would drag it back when opening the window. Examine both sides and you should be able to determine which one rides smoothly in the track and then try and gently reposition the misguided side. Then run around the yard yelling TADA!

There is a Technical Service Bulletin: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

Make : SUBARU Model : LEGACY Year : 2000

Manufacturer : SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.

Service Bulletin Num : 128003 Date of Bulletin: MAY 19, 2003

NHTSA Item Number: 10001727

Component: VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY

Summary:

SUNSHADE FOR REAR SUNROOF ON DUAL SUNROOF MODELS.

The following website is specific to your car's TSBs but doesn't mention this condition. Check out the other issues. These are not NHTSA safety recalls but rather SOA heads up bulletins for their dealerships.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

It's easy finding your way when you know where you are going!