Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Loyale rough startup

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I have a problem that has been ongoing for a while. What it is is that when I start up my Subaru and the outside temperature is less that around 40*F., it runs terrible. I usually have to keep revving the engine to keep it going. As soon as it has idled for a while,(maybe a minute or so depending on the outside temp.), it will run just as it always has, like nothing is wrong.??

I've tried various things to get it to run right such as remove the egr valve and cleaned it. And also checked the operation of the associated vacuum switches that are connected to it.This didn't seem to make a difference.

I've even taken it to a reputable Subaru dealer to have it checked and they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. They did say that I had a code 55 and that it wasn't supposed to be there as that code is only for a California emissions car and this one is a Federal emissions car??

I'm a little suspect of the mechanics there at that dealership because while I was there I could smell something burning out in the waiting area. What it turned out to be was that the spring on the hillholder was broken and the brakes were stuck on my car and they couldn't even figure that out. When they brought me out to show me where the hillholder was (like I didn't already know) I noticed the spring just hanging there. I said to them, "isn't that spring supposed to pull that lever back into position?" Oh, he says we didn't even notice that!

What they did recommend trying was to take the ECU out of another Subaru and see if that clears the problem up. I do have an old '88 out back that I could do that with if I can find the ECU. Does anyone there know where the ECU's are located on these cars?? Or conversly does anybody have any clue as to what the heck this problem could be?

So far I'm about $150 poorer and my Subaru still isn't running right, so I hope somebody there can give some much needed advice. Thanx in advance for any input that you can give. Toni.

O.K., I did locate the ECU's under the steering column as suggested and swapped them out, thanx. To my surprise the '88 is still flashing the code 55 on the red light inside the box??? It would seem that it would clear if the problem was with the ECU itself. The ECU's look exactly the same , but, the numbers are slightly different. On a positive note when I started the car the check engine light didn't come on, but, the outside temp. wasn't that cold. I'll try it today as it is about 25*F this morning.

I did find a link under my post that sounds exactly like the problem that I'm having , but, darn it all I can't get it to open. Not sure if it is too old now or what? Can anyone there help me out and direct me to another link like the one that is listed below? Thanx.

I'll post the link if I can, http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6489

Toni,

Here is the correct link for the page you requested

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6489

This post outlines what I believe to be your problem.

The Fuel Injection Coolant Thermosensor.

It tells the ECU the engine is cold and to add more fuel.

If your 88 is fuel injected (SPFI) it will have the same FI CT.

Upper rad hose connection on the engine.

There are two there, the one with two wires connected to it, is the one you need.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks a million Skip, that link worked and I've taken the coolant sensor out the donor car '88 and put it into the '92 and it took right off on the first crank and ran as it always has. If I had only found this site sooner I'd of saved myself all this aggravation I've gone through since this Spring. Oh well at least its fixed and all is well in Subaru land.

I called my local NAPA store to price out a new FICT and they only wanted $96 for it. I can't believe they are that much, its just a small plug and a couple wires, what gives?? Maybe the one out of the old '88 will work for a while and I can get one later on.

I wonder why that particular part isn't listed in the trouble code sequence?? I guess that code 55 was just a phantom code and not really anything to go by. Do you think I should tell the dealership what the problem ended up being? Maybe I could sell them the info. back for half of the $65 they charged me to do the diagnostic and didn't really get a diagnosis. Ha, that's a laugh.

Anywho I just wanted to let you know that it looks like I'm all set and that I'm forever in your debt. I'll definitely put you guys in my favorites column and check in from time to time. I'm also thinking about making a donation. Hell you saved me a few bucks in research alone. Again thanks a bunch, Toni.

You're welcome Toni, glad we could help.

Incidentally I just purchased the FICS for my Legacy,

looks very similar but no wires, plug fits on unit.

The Subaru dealer only charged me 30 beans plus tax.

Might go price one there?

They might not give you a refund but may cut you some slack on the coolant sensor?

Good luck and welcome aboard the good ship USMB