Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm gettin cams!!!

So I just did a deal with someone on the board (not mentioning any names but you know who you are) for a set of Delta ground 260 street cams for my RX. I can't wait cause I know what these motors can do stock with the boost turned up and a part time 5-speed d/r in them. Since I'm going to be going with the FT4WD d/r tranny, it should be more fun! So first come the cams and them an intercooler, spider intake with XT6 throttle body on it, STi hoodscoop or a custom hood (in the process of mocking one up), custom hoodscoop for the intake and a few "other" goodies along the way as well. So here are a few questions for you EA82T gurus...

When I get my cams, what will I need to do in order to install them? I know I'll need to replace the seals but what else is there? I heard something about the followers but I have a slight clue on what they are but where would I get new ones and for how much? I figure if I have a blown h/g on this motor, I'll install them the same time. Is there anything that I'll have to change to the fuel system? Anything else I need to know while I got it torn down? Thanks guys!

there's nothing you need to change to the fuel system.

the things i would say you really should replace: there's a reinforced o-ring that i've only seen supplied from Subaru and www.thepartsbin.com that you will want to replace between the cam and the head at the lower corner. get new cam seals as well.

optional things to replace: there are also metal clip on orings that attach to the cam carrier that you can replace if you'd like. OEM Subaru parts. there are two on each cam i believe (one is circular, the other is round, you'll need 2 of each - one for each side). not a bad idea to get some engine assembly lube for the cams and followers as you install them. of course timing belts, water pump and oil pump seals while you're in there.

while you're that far, it's not a bad idea to replace the head gaskets especially considering you're going to be messing with the boost. or you can worry about replacing the head gaskets later once you're done *tweaking*.

i personally wouldn't replace the cam followers, but i've never had problems with them. good luck, these EA82's are awesome to work on, as i say all the time. i'd like to pick up a 4 cylinder XT so i have something simple with good gas mileage around.

........ these EA82's are awesome to work on, as i say all the time. i'd like to pick up a 4 cylinder XT so i have something simple with good gas mileage around.

Uh oh! :brow: Get a turbocharged one if you do. You'll have more room to play with.

Then again, you did drive around in that XT with the cams and you liked it right? You said it made a noticable difference. I wish that car went down the 1/4 mile or a dyno so we could see the difference.

how did you know the cams weren't properly ground? can you give us more details, i don't know jack about cams so i'd like to know how you know they were'nt done properly.

kevin,

nice try, i'll stick to NA if i get an XT or some other EA82 for gas mileage and ease of maintenance.

im still waiting for john to talk to delta...appreantly on the cams there's was a "dead" spot that did not let the one valve on each clyinder seat all the way...the cams still need to be sent to delta for them to evaulate

HMmmmmm........Still wont affect me getting some from them if/when I need them.

Everyone makes mistakes.

im still waiting for john to talk to delta...appreantly on the cams there's was a "dead" spot that did not let the one valve on each clyinder seat all the way...the cams still need to be sent to delta for them to evaulate

Any pics? Can you show us 'newbies' in this area what we are to look for? I mean, a picture that would say, 'see guys, this is what a dead spot would look like on your cam if you had one'. I have no idea what a dead spot on a cam would look like. :confused:

w00t!!! she runs again!!!! I got the gas tank in her and she fired up but had the tick of death to her. Guess thats what happens when it sits for about a year and has 208k on the ticker. Guess I'll need to go get some gas so it'll run longer then a couple seconds...... Next is the waterpump which I got a brand new one with a lifetime warranty for 30 bucks!!!