Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FLAHING check engine light?

Hi ALL Again!

My 1997 GT Leagcy Wgn just FLASHED it's check engine light! Let me back track....................a few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I went to my Buddies Garage, used his Snap-On engine computer. Found code to say something about 2nd ignition wire. I cleared code, DIDN'T replace the wire (Yet). I drove it around for another 150 miles, check engine light came back on, almost exactly were it came on the first time! So. I've ordered new wires....NEVER been replaced in the 127K miles of this car. I looked at the end of the wires at the Coil PAck, they are clean here. So today, I had errands to do. I kind of Got-on the accelarator for a bit......the Check Engine light starts flashing....then just goes back to being normaly on!! No overheating, full of oil. Is it just a reminder to simply replace that 2nd plug wire? I didn't go to my Buddies garage the second time the light came on. I just ASSumed that it was the same code coming up!

Ya, I'm going to replace ALL the wires soon, the plugs only have 4K miles on them.

HELP! SubeeTEd

you better get that check engine code pulled... fast

flashing check engine light = bad bad bad medicine

steady light is not so bad

but flashing meanst stop driving the car.. now.. or else

car is trying to tell you something :)

you are best off parking it and finding out what the issue is.

Jamie

I'm guessing that the code your buddy pulled with his Snap-On scantool was for misfires in cylinder 2 -- that's the only code I can think of that could be interpreted as being about the plug wire.

A worn-out plug wire often has tiny cracks in the insulator, even if the terminals at the ends look fine. When it gets hard for the spark to jump the gap in the plug (like when you get on the throttle), it instead jumps through the insulator. The air/fuel mixture doesn't burn right (if at all), and so raw fuel and air go out the tailpipe.

That flashing CEL usually indicates severe misfire. When misfire gets this bad, it is usually associated with the raw air and fuel burning inside the catalytic converter. If left unchecked that will destroy a cat in short order.

I know this is obvious, but: Replace the wires ASAFP. If you absolutely have to drive the car before you do so, use as little throttle as possible.

If you can still change your order, I highly recommend Magnecor spark plug wires. If you do things right you'll never ever ever have to replace them.