Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 wiper constantly on

I recently picked up 2 ea81 wagons for $1500AU (or around $1200k US). One of them had a flat battery and when the jumper leads were pulled off the battery when jumping it, a bit spark jumped and between the terminal and the lead. Immediately the wipers came on, and are on at the same constant speed no matter what setting the switch is at.

I have checked the fuse, and the fuseable link, both seem to be behaving properly. I will test the other stuff I can think of today. 1) wires going to wiper motor 2) switch. I'm assuming it would be the switch as if it was working properly there would be no power going to the motor through the wires. Unless of course there is now a short somewhere :/

Anyone had this sort of thing before and can think of something worth checking ?

There is a cammed switch in the wiper motor that stops the motor when the blades are in the parked position with control switch in "off" position. Maybe somehow, this switch was arcked closed when you pulled the jumper cables off. That would cause wiper motor to stay running all of the time. Would try swapping in a different motor to check that idea.

turned out to be the intermittant switch/relay. replaced that and all is good!

The wagons are both in excellect condition. very little rust, both run well mechanically, both have reasonable tyres. The gold one has a dual carb manifold ( sitting on a standard engine ) and boy does that give it some low down grunt!

the red one will be going in for safety cert to get on the road this week. It will then go to a workmate who is hanging out for his first suby :) Not sure what I'll do with the gold one, can't really justify registering it and having 3 cars on the road. Am going to try and get a restricted rego for it, which is heaps cheaper and will allow me to drive it on club events.