Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Organic vs Ceramic clutch disc

OK, more clutch questions. . .

What advantage would ceramic clutches have over organic or semi-metalic discs? Are they worth the price premium? Also does anyone know the clamp pressure of the original pressure plate? would a pressure plate with a higher clamp pressure help when using a regular (organic/semimetalic) clutch?

I'm asking these questions so I can be ready for when this clutch goes out. THis is called paying for my mistakes, and trying not to make new ones. . .

What I'm considering at the moment is semi-metalic and a heavy pressure plate, unless the ceramic is significantly better (holding power, and longevity). The problems I see with ceramic is that they are usually a 3 puck clutch instead of a complete ring. This may be fine for racing of street performance, but I do not see an advantage at normal RPMs, while I do suspect disadvantages. I have even seen discs advertised as "reduced thickness facing". . . OK, so someone would pay for an already worn out clutch?