Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The rear accessory socket in my 98 Forester went dead suddenly as I was adding some air to the tires and the spare. I had a little 12V air compressor going in it and it suddenly stopped after running about 15 minutes.

Must be the fuse, I thought. I pulled the fuse (position 19--that is, lower right corner--behind the coin tray) but it was okay. I even plugged in a new fuse, and still the rear socket was dead. I checked and found 12 volts present on the hot fuse terminal, but there is nothing at the socket.

Before I try to trace the wiring out, has anyone else experienced this? What was the culprit? Is there another fuse or a weak link somewhere in series with the socket?

Thanks much!

You probably have an "open" somewhere between the fuse and outlet. I always suspect connections and plugs.

Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram?

Yes, it has to be an open somewhere. I just thought it really strange for it to open suddenly as though a fuse had blown, but for no apparent reason.

If I can get my hands on a wiring diagram, I'll have some more options for troubleshooting this thing.

Rear Outlet is wired completely different from the front. There is a Relay used here.

Power comes from fuse-19 as you have tried. Then it goes to the contacts of a relay marked Seat Heater/Rear Power Acc. From the N/O contact out it goes to the rear thru 1 large connector near the passenger front kick panel.

The relay is powered off the Acc contacts on the Ignition switch. Then thru fuse-4 to power the coil of the above relay.

I would check fuse-4 next, especially if you don't have seat heaters, you will never know it doesn't work except for the Rear Acc outlet not working, Then the relay.

The relay is 1 of a stack of 3 up behind the fuse panel. 3 relays are in this stack, this is the lowest one with a white connector. Above it is a blue connector relay and on top a red connector relay.

Hope this info helps.

Just do what I did and wire up an aftermarket socket. I put one in my center console so I could run my laptop off it. I tried using the one in the dash but I need it on 24/7 so I don't have to restart the puter when I shut the car off. I went a bit overboard with 1 guage to the battery and a scosche circut breaker but it is peace of mind when I connect my toys to it.

Yes, the compressor works fine just as before. The socket is what died—there is no voltage on the center pin.

Thank you, ferret. I didn't know the circuit went through a relay and another fuse. I'll check fuse 4 next. The car does not have seat heaters (except for whoever sits in them).

I hate troubleshooting an electrical problem without an electrical diagram. It's like trying to work on a piece of electronic gear without a schematic!

I hate troubleshooting an electrical problem without an electrical diagram. It's like trying to work on a piece of electronic gear without a schematic!

Actualy, that is exactly what it is. . . The wiring diagram is a schematic for the vehicle.