Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dead disty?????

Guest offroadsubaruguy

Guest offroadsubaruguy

ok, heres the scoop..... my tach has been jumpy lately, my idle is super rough, and i have almost no bottom end power, and on top of that, i occasionaly have some pretty bad hesitation..... now, i have heard that the jumpy tach is a sign of a bad disty, but could a bad disty also be causing my other problems???? any info will help, and i just noticed the jumpy tach a little less than a week ago, everything else has been around for a while...... thanks for your imput !!!!

Guest Cougar4

From the sounds of your post you may be correct. I think there is a transistor in the circuit also that acts as a switch and it may be that also.

Glen

Guest GeneralDisorder

Have the shaft re-bushed. Cost is about $30. Should fix many of your problems. They will start to run bad before the tach starts jumping - loss of power - everything you describe. The electronics are working if the engine is running. There should be NO play in the shaft when you check it - if there is any at all noticeable, it's bad. Mine was horrible (tach was jumping to 7000 and staying there !!), but I could just barely tell the shaft was loose. Doesn't take much to throw the timing WAY off.

GD