Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating = Blown Head Gaskets?

Ok, my dad and I replaced the water pump and thermostat, and my car is still overheating. We replaced the coolant using a tried and true method off of the board, so I don't think I have air pockets. The top coolant hose is HOT, and the bottom coolant hose is cold. The coolant overflow bottle will "boil" over, but the coolant in the bottle is straight cold. I am getting little tiny bubbles in the bottle, and also bubbles out of the overflow tube. What really confuses me, is that when it overheats, I can temporarily cool it down by blipping the throttle a few times, up to about 5500 RPM. This only works for about 2 miles, and it starts to overheat again. I'm not sure, but this points me to head gaskets. The little trick I just described works, but I don't know WHY it works. Does ANYONE have ANY suggestions, or fixes? I need the car, and if I can't fix it immediately I'll have to get another car and sell the Scoob. I really do not want to do this, but I cannot afford(timewise) to replace the head gaskets, and cannot afford(moneywise) to fully replace the engine with a rebuilt. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

ScoobySchmitty

Check the other posts, here, and compare your symptoms. There is also good advice on how to minimize air pockets.

I've had a couple of overheating episodes and see bubbles in my overflow, I also have a black goo lining the inside of the overflow bottle. The service guys at Subaru just looked at it, sniffed the coolant tank and gave me the sad news.

But I have the notorious 2.5 DOHC.

You have a 2.2 which is supposed to be bulletproof.

If the 2.2 has one, remember to remove the air bleed screw on the passenger side of the radiator when you fill.

Some info here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze730qe/...eplacement.html

Good luck.

I checked around, and the only other problem could be a badly sprung radiator cap (??) I really doubt that it is that. My coolant has a brownish tinge to it as well, but I would like to have it tested for hydrocarbons. I think this would be the most surefire way to tell what the problem is.

ScoobySchmitty

From your description it sounds like the test will be positive. You may be able to use some sort of sealer to stop this until you can fix it the right way. I only recommend this since you can't do the correct repair now, if that really is what is wrong.

ScoobySchmitty

Was the car overheating before you did the water pump and the thermostat?

If it wasn't you may have put the thermostat in backwards or you have a faulty thermostat out of the box

The rusty ting of the coolant could be from the engine overheating and loosening some of the sediment in the motor and radiator

Did you open the bleeder on the right side of the radiator when you filled it up ?

Like Clutchbob says the 2.2 is basically bullet proof , but depending on how many miles are on it , and putting new coolant in it there is a possiblity that the head gaskets may have been weak and the new coolant flushed away the sedement that was keeping things together

SEA#3