Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash removal

well you do not have to take out the dash for this...under you steering wheel there will be 2 pieces of plastic panels( where the fuse panel is)..you should have access to the cable for the vent.

if you need to get in deeper> the plastic arount the gauge cluster and the driver vent is all one piece..

screws are:

behind the dummy plate near the rear drefost switch

behind the buttons in th e heater control(defrost and off)

behinf the hazzard and fan dial

"in" the cluster hole under neath the top part

there will be like 2 screws under neath the where the power mirror switch is if you look up from underneath you sill see them

anyone add if im missing anything

screws are:

behind the dummy plate near the rear drefost switch

behind the buttons in th e heater control(defrost and off)

behinf the hazzard and fan dial

"in" the cluster hole under neath the top part

there will be like 2 screws under neath the where the power mirror switch is if you look up from underneath you sill see them

anyone add if im missing anything

3 bolts under the cover plates below the windshield.

You can remove the dash if you lower the steering wheel completely and if the steering column covers are removed. However, it's much easier if the steering wheel is removed too. The centre console has to come out.

ummmm i gave him directions to remove just the trim by his problem vent. he doesn't need to remove the dash.
Right. However, if he's going to replace the heater core, the whole thing will have to come out. Removing the entire dash isn't as hard as it sounds. After several practice runs, I can now do it in about an hour.

Sorry,I thought he wanted to pull the dash,didn't realize he can just swap the vent.

Personally I've done plenty of dash removals and it's a breeze.For a car that old it'd be smart to swap cores now before winter really kicks in.I'm doing one later this week.