Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dash removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jssubie

jssubie

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:16 PM

88 GL wagon - fresh air vent by drivers side door is stuck. Where do I start taking things apart to access this control and hopefully get it freed up? Thanks!

#2 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

well you do not have to take out the dash for this...under you steering wheel there will be 2 pieces of plastic panels( where the fuse panel is)..you should have access to the cable for the vent.

if you need to get in deeper> the plastic arount the gauge cluster and the driver vent is all one piece..

screws are:
behind the dummy plate near the rear drefost switch
behind the buttons in th e heater control(defrost and off)
behinf the hazzard and fan dial
"in" the cluster hole under neath the top part
there will be like 2 screws under neath the where the power mirror switch is if you look up from underneath you sill see them

anyone add if im missing anything

#3 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

You'd be smart to spend the $45 on the new heater core too while the dash is out.Just a thought,if you've got the spare dough.

#4 canajun2eh

canajun2eh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:10 AM

screws are:
behind the dummy plate near the rear drefost switch
behind the buttons in th e heater control(defrost and off)
behinf the hazzard and fan dial
"in" the cluster hole under neath the top part
there will be like 2 screws under neath the where the power mirror switch is if you look up from underneath you sill see them

anyone add if im missing anything

3 bolts under the cover plates below the windshield.

You can remove the dash if you lower the steering wheel completely and if the steering column covers are removed. However, it's much easier if the steering wheel is removed too. The centre console has to come out.

#5 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:48 PM

ummmm i gave him directions to remove just the trim by his problem vent. he doesn't need to remove the dash.

#6 canajun2eh

canajun2eh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

ummmm i gave him directions to remove just the trim by his problem vent. he doesn't need to remove the dash.

Right. However, if he's going to replace the heater core, the whole thing will have to come out. Removing the entire dash isn't as hard as it sounds. After several practice runs, I can now do it in about an hour.

#7 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:25 PM

Sorry,I thought he wanted to pull the dash,didn't realize he can just swap the vent.

Personally I've done plenty of dash removals and it's a breeze.For a car that old it'd be smart to swap cores now before winter really kicks in.I'm doing one later this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users