Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine removal on 98 ob, pitching stopper must be removed?

I am working on Engine removal on my 98 ob, manual transmission, EJ25 DOHC engine. Subarau service manual says remove pitching stopper. On visual inspection, it seems otherwise - the bracket seems to be bolted to transmission, not the engine.

Any thoughts?

Also, same for air chamber stays - I don't see why I need to take them off..

Thanks for help.

Do what the manual says.

When you separate the engine from the transmission, you need to jack up the engine slightly. This isn't possible if the pitching stopper is installed. You also can't get the engine off the engine mounts when the pitching stopper is in place. (In reality, it's another engine mount.)

Pull it. It is possible to get the engine out with the P-stopper in, but when you go to put the new engine mounts in the support, they will not line up as the P-stopper is holding the engine FWD. Anything is possible with a big enough forklift/hammer :>)

• 1 month later...

Having removed the engine and put it back in, I can easily see why. Pitching stopper is indeed connected only to transmission. To remove the engine from transmission, one has to raise the engine so that the mount studs clear the front cross member. To raise the engine, one has to raise the transmission.. which is attached to pitching stopper.