Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing snowmobile trailer?

Has anyone trailered with Subarus? I have a 95 Legacy wagon, and am considering a single snowmobile trailer to transport my sled. Has anyone pulled a small trailer with their Soob? I don't feel like upgrading to an SUV or pickup just to do this.. No steep inclines. I am in the northeast. Thanks!

We towed a snowmobile trailer carrying a 7'x7'x3' enclosed hot-tub across the continental divide in a blizzard. No problems at all, except we drank a lot of gas because of the wind resistance. And this was with an '87 GL. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. If it's an automatic, maybe add a tranny cooler?, Oh hell, it's a 'snowmobile' trailer, it'll be cold out, nevermind.

Manual or automatic? I picked up a 92 legacy for $75 because it had been used for towing trailers and the clutch was smoked at 120k. and I mean smoked. driving in 4th at 60 the engine rpm drops about 1,500 when you let off on the gas, without the speed changing. So be warned, the clutch will die sooner.

Has anyone trailered with Subarus? I have a 95 Legacy wagon, and am considering a single snowmobile trailer to transport my sled. Has anyone pulled a small trailer with their Soob? I don't feel like upgrading to an SUV or pickup just to do this.. No steep inclines. I am in the northeast. Thanks!
I've pulled 14' and 16' fishing boats, loaded with gear, on several ocassions, including a 1500+ mile trip into Canada with my '96 OB - no problems. I also have a 8x5 utility trailer that I use to haul landscape materials for the home and other odd jobs - usually 1200 to 1800 lbs combined weight. On the long fishing trips, where I would normally achieve 26/28 mpg, towing the fishing boat drags it down to 20/22mpg.

Make sure brakes/fluids/tires are in good condition, and be safe by planning longer stopping distances, drive the speed limit, etc. Even with the expected downshifting/upshifting on hills, Subies do quite well within their rated limits.

You should have no problems with a single snowmobile/trailer.

Paul

Heh, I got my 92 Legacy wagon for *free* because the stepdaughter had burned the clutch in SF, along with the balljoints being gone. . .

I'm in the middle of putting it back together (new clutch and balljoints, as well as a rear window wiper motor so far), and I have had nothing but praise for the car every time I have worked on it. . .

I would say that a small trailer (one snomobile or jetski) should have no problems at all. If it is an auto, get a tranny cooler. If it is a MT, try not to slip the clutch much at all. . .

I tow my 18 foot inboard/outboard with my 97 and my 02 OBW's, so a snowmobile trailer should be a snap considering it will weigh a whole lot less. Both cars are automatics, I only towed the boat 18 miles from storage to water at the season's start, and back again at season's end, it is as flat as a table top where I live, I never went over 50 mph, and I started stopping long before I needed to to keep the weight from overpowering the Subaru's brakes. No problems at all. But....if I were to go any distance with the same boat/weight on behind, I'd put on auxillary brakes and a tranny cooler, and if I was trailering the same package in hilly country....I'd buy a heavier vehicle with the drivetrain to haul it. Take it easy and you should have no problems hauling a snowmobile with what you have.

I've towed, snowmobiles. lawn tractors, motorcycles, boats, buggies...etc with my Subarus without any problem.

I'd keep everything within the weight limits of the hitch, trailer and your Subaru, but I never hesitate to tow with my Subies.

I use them as Sport Utility Vehicles!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

post-584-13602759714_thumb.jpg

Clutch? The '87 we towed with (mostly a utility trailer, occassionally heavy, and the notorious "Great Divide Hot-Tub trip") had a clutch of unknown age when I bought it at 130,000 miles. Still had the SAME clutch (and brakes) when I sold it at 212,000 ... and I see it running all over town delivering newspapers still.

I have a Draw tight hitch but, I'd think because of it's shape it would only be good for this model. I'd think you would have the same basic problem. A dealer could probably tell you what years your hitch would also work on. I'd bet it's would only work on the same body style of car as what you have it on.

A hitch dealer is the answer.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I have a Draw tight hitch but, I'd think because of it's shape it would only be good for this model. I'd think you would have the same basic problem. A dealer could probably tell you what years your hitch would also work on. I'd bet it's would only work on the same body style of car as what you have it on.

I agree you would most likely need the same body style/model to transfer the hitch. My 96 and 05 OBWs have completely different bolt-on configurations. But there must be a range of model years where one system would work.

I agree you would most likely need the same body style/model to transfer the hitch. My 96 and 05 OBWs have completely different bolt-on configurations. But there must be a range of model years where one system would work.
If I upgrade vehicles, I would look for a Legacy or Outback wagon, 98,99 maybe - would the bolt-on trailerr hitch be the same?

If I upgrade vehicles, I would look for a Legacy or Outback wagon, 98,99 maybe - would the bolt-on trailerr hitch be the same?

DaveTv,

I would think so, but I wouldn't swear by it since I have not personally owned or worked on those model years. If you don't have a local dealer to contact and ask, might I suggest you email or call Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com . Jason is great to work with and will take the time to research your questions. He helped me order just the trailer wiring harness/converter for my 05' (a plug-n-play type harness, normally comes with the hitch, which I didn't need)

Paul

Draw-Tite hitch part number 36234 is specified for all 1990 to 1999 Legacies, both sedans and wagons. The wagon drawbar is different from the sedan one. It's pretty easy to install, and I'd presume easy to remove. It bolts right in after you drill one 1/2" hole in each frame rail.

I towed a trailer that weighed probably around 1500 lbs on a 350-mile trip with my Legacy... My Legacy's got everything wrong with it for towing: it's a 5-speed (with a dying clutch no less), a sedan, and a turbo. I guess if it were FWD instead of AWD it would have been a little worse. :)

I certainly felt like I was being hard on the car, but it took it like a champ. Based on that experience, I wouldn't be too worried about hauling a snowmobile trailer around with your wagon. Just drive carefully. Be very gentle on the clutch, make extra sure to leave enough room around you to maneuver in an emergency, stuff like that. And definitely practice without the sled first.