Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 and 1998 Legacy any different?

I got a hold of Haynes manual for something like 1993-1998 Legacy's, and I have a '99. The car looks pretty much the same as in the picture, so I'm wondering if there's any significant difference between the '98 and '99 models that would impact me servicing the motor, or is it the same???

TIA!

I got a hold of Haynes manual for something like 1993-1998 Legacy's, and I have a '99. The car looks pretty much the same as in the picture, so I'm wondering if there's any significant difference between the '98 and '99 models that would impact me servicing the motor, or is it the same???

TIA!

No real difference. I have a 99 and use the 98 Haynes manual. It's a pretty good manual for the price.

No real difference. I have a 99 and use the 98 Haynes manual. It's a pretty good manual for the price.

Yours may have been manufactured before 6/98. The '99 EJ22 engine is quite different from a "'98". It's a hybrid between the EJ22 and the EJ25 SOHC. We have 2 in the shop right now and even the timing covers and valve covers are different. They also take a different timing belt, bearings, rings, etc.

Now, for something as simple as the thermostat, you are probably ok using a Haynes.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com