Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Loyale Auto-to-Man Tranny Swap?

I'm seriously considering a car with manual transmission sometime in the near future, being sick and tired of these accursed automatics (rampant here in Florida) but I don't feel like giving up this Suby just yet. She in way to good of a shape to do that. Now I know how a motor works and I've done my own basic tune-ups and I know how to use a wrench. But when it comes to full-scale transmission conversion all I can do is shake my head.

Is this affordable, i.e. does it not cost several thousand dollars? Could a shop mechanic do this and what might the labor costs be? What type of tranny should I be looking for, same year and model, or older/newer?

There's no real hope to find parts here, but I'm going to be moving to Massachusetts later next year, does that seem like a good place to find older subarus? What could the cost of said parts be once I lay my hands on them?

well starting off, you'd be needing at 5 speed Single Range 4wd for a EA82 engine. They came on 90-94 Loyales. There is also a 5 speed Dual Range 4wd tranny that was on the GL wagons and Sedans from 85-89. I reccomend the Dual Range.

Depending on what automatic you have, you might have to get a 3.9 ratio rear end, but you can check yours. Fulltime 4wd has 3.7 rear end and push button 4wd autos have 3.9 rear ends. I'm not positive on this, hopefully someone else will second me on that

Try searching for this topic, it is a common asked question around here.

i've got a car that would work for you

92 loyale, 5sp push-button 4wd. has its problems so i'm looking to sell it cheap, (~$350) it runs and everything.... just not well. it's in northern VA.

it also has fairly new tires, a new igniton coil, new front left suspension, and other decently new parts.

e-mail me if you're interested

jmurockstar@yahoo.com