Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'92 Loyale Auto-to-Man Tranny Swap?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

I'm seriously considering a car with manual transmission sometime in the near future, being sick and tired of these accursed automatics (rampant here in Florida) but I don't feel like giving up this Suby just yet. She in way to good of a shape to do that. Now I know how a motor works and I've done my own basic tune-ups and I know how to use a wrench. But when it comes to full-scale transmission conversion all I can do is shake my head.

Is this affordable, i.e. does it not cost several thousand dollars? Could a shop mechanic do this and what might the labor costs be? What type of tranny should I be looking for, same year and model, or older/newer?

There's no real hope to find parts here, but I'm going to be moving to Massachusetts later next year, does that seem like a good place to find older subarus? What could the cost of said parts be once I lay my hands on them?

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:07 AM

well starting off, you'd be needing at 5 speed Single Range 4wd for a EA82 engine. They came on 90-94 Loyales. There is also a 5 speed Dual Range 4wd tranny that was on the GL wagons and Sedans from 85-89. I reccomend the Dual Range.

Depending on what automatic you have, you might have to get a 3.9 ratio rear end, but you can check yours. Fulltime 4wd has 3.7 rear end and push button 4wd autos have 3.9 rear ends. I'm not positive on this, hopefully someone else will second me on that

Try searching for this topic, it is a common asked question around here.

#3 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:03 AM

Wait until you move and then link up with the East Coast Master - Moosens. He lives in nearby, scenic Conn. He is also very congenial and can walk you through the process if you buy him beer and coffee.

#4 roxtar

roxtar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Warrenton

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:18 PM

i've got a car that would work for you
92 loyale, 5sp push-button 4wd. has its problems so i'm looking to sell it cheap, (~$350) it runs and everything.... just not well. it's in northern VA.

it also has fairly new tires, a new igniton coil, new front left suspension, and other decently new parts.

e-mail me if you're interested
jmurockstar@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users