Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea81t MT conversion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:09 AM

Just been reading an old thread on this, as i'm about to do so on the 83 wagon. It mentions that you need an '82-'84 4spd gearbox, what is the difference between the '81 & '82 4 speeds? Is it possible to use the '81 g'box?

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:03 AM

It is generally preferred as the gear ratios are more aggressive for off road driving. here is a resource for you:
http://www.ultimates...ight=gear ratio

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,881 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

you can use the EA81 d/r 4-speed from '80-'89? if you want a 4-speed which aren't good for highway use from what I've gathered. A lot of people have put the EA82 5-speed into their EA81 cars due to the gearing.

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,755 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:33 AM

I have the five speed box in my car and it took a tiny amount of grinding to make it clear. I also had to buy the conversion kit from Jerry, bratsrus, to get it to fit. If you don't want to deal with this, just go with the 4 speed.

#5 SuperRallyRoo

SuperRallyRoo

Defundit.com

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Tacoma, Wa.

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

If I could do it all over again, I would go with the 4spd I liked the gearing in my old hatchback more then the gearing in my wagon with the 5spd anyway.

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,755 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:38 PM

I would also go with the 4 speed first, but I really, really, really enjoy having the 5 speed so if you end up not enjoying the car with the 4 speed, by all means put in the five-er!

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:45 PM

Thanks all, I think i will go with the 81 4spd for the moment, seeing as i already have one. Might just have to fix a few leaks in it first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users